PDA

View Full Version : Private Messages

T.Reynolds
08-26-2005, 03:41 AM
Hello. I have joined a couple of forums and just lurk really. However, I find that no matter which board I am on I get PMs advertising hosting. Are these forums just like a big meeting places where companies can find customers. This is not a rhetorical question :)

WebEdit2
08-26-2005, 03:46 AM
T

It is not meant to be that way and we are currently investigation strategies to avoid it!

Hope to implement them soon.

WebEdit2

Martie
08-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Hello. I have joined a couple of forums and just lurk really. However, I find that no matter which board I am on I get PMs advertising hosting. Are these forums just like a big meeting places where companies can find customers. This is not a rhetorical question :)

Hi T. Reynolds,
Well thats frustrating and certainly considered spam so my advice would be to report the member name that did the PM.
Forums arent meant to be used for that purpose but I see/hear about it alot myself. I can tell you from being in this business 6+ years, Ive never PM'ed anyone trying to sell our services. The industry has become soooo saturated and I think alot of people quickly grab a reseller account for about $25 and they are allowed unlimited domains for their account so they hurry and join all the forums/post all the ads they can and then usually abuse that rule as well, plus PM someone that may be genuinely looking for a reliable web host and then TRY to shove their own services in your face! Thats not ethical by any means and it would certainly be one company I would "stay away" from.

Be sure to report spamming PM's in the other forums as well.

country-tyme
08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Couldn't have put it better. Forums have rules and irregardless, members do not always adhere to them. Report the pm's to mods. Most forums will warn the member that such contact means are not allowed. There are forum where they too seem not to care. And then there are the forums that people post their hosting offers in the wrong sections and just waste everyones time. That really burns my... And the mods never do anything about that either. Just my 2 cents worth.

1PlanHost
08-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I am not sure if you are referring to this specific forum or just forums in general. Either way, I believe you will find this forum to be helpful as it relates to web hosting. John (WebEdit2) is doing a fine job as the new administrator and I am confident that the forum rules will be even more defined and enforced.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

country-tyme
08-29-2005, 08:20 AM
I was not referring to this forum. I haven't been here long enough to form a valid opinion. But there are others that don't enforce what they say.:)

NS-Icon
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Yup,

At some point on any forum you are going to be hit by PM spam. To be honest with you, I would keep my distance from such providers.

I would also have to agree with Darren (1PlanHost) on the great work being carried out by John(WebEdit2). Eventually with the continued commitment and effort by all members on this forum spam should be a thing of the past.

Note: Any members receiving PM spam, please report their member names to a moderator immediately, we appreciate your support.

ElCaballo
08-30-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't like when the moderators are too strict. Once I was on webhostingtalk and I signed my name with a word-play on el caballo and the moderator bit my dang head off saying it was against the rules. I haven't been back since.

It is nice however when they get rid of the spam and keep people in line in a reasonable way. I'm not for anarchy but there is no need to do things in a dictatorial too full of yourself style either.

NS-Icon
08-30-2005, 12:30 AM
I personally think webhostingtalk.com is an amazing forum, and I think the moderators do an amazing job. They are usually more strict on new users those who have little posts, and a warning here and there can ensure you follow the rules, I too was warned when I first joined.

I've been a regular on that forum for some time now and haven’t had a problem since, I think the moderators are doing a wonderful job.