PDA

View Full Version : Is it me...

MartinX
11-10-2005, 10:41 PM
... or is every web host and his brother upgrading offerings and hosting plans by ridiculous proportions? I am being cynical when I say such offers are meaningless? If you have a site and your available disk space increases 1000%, how the hell could you ever utilize even half this amount of space to establish that it is genuinely available to you? It seems to me that these shared hosts are just plucking a figure out of the air, one that just sounds impressive.

Martin

Martie
11-11-2005, 01:10 AM
... or is every web host and his brother upgrading offerings and hosting plans by ridiculous proportions? I am being cynical when I say such offers are meaningless? If you have a site and your available disk space increases 1000%, how the hell could you ever utilize even half this amount of space to establish that it is genuinely available to you? It seems to me that these shared hosts are just plucking a figure out of the air, one that just sounds impressive.

Martin

Yes, I agree. SOME sites of course will use more but really doubltful any use what kinds of plans are being offered presently. Those wouldnt be suitable for a "shared" enviroment anyway. Ive been in the business since 99 and we still offer close to what we did back then with no accounts exceeding 500mb space. The industry has really taken a nose dive DOWNward in my opinion and I would really hate to be on the consumer end when searching for a host.
Especially when average sites still only consume 50-100mb web space...just like they did back in the day :D

ASP-Hosting.ca
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Unless you have established hosting brand, you don't have much choice and have to offer everything for nothing :)

Host Capacity
11-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast which is the hosting industry. It will only get worse when the next generation of internet connections become available. Every bedroom will have a server and a 12 year old running it.

1PlanHost
11-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Offering everything for nothing is a dangerous and loosing game for any web host. Reputable hosting companies are now suffering as well from over inflating their plans and features. The industry as a whole suffers from customer expectations that cannot realistically be met. The sad part about that is that due to the low barriers to entry into this business we ourselves have created these expectations. I have seen it for nearly 10 years now and unfortunately do not see it ceasing any time soon.

I would however encourage reputable hosting companies not to play this loosing game and to join us in the business by raising the standards of excellence and reliability. Customers who price shop on unrealistic inflated features will eventually discover the old adage of "you get what you pay for" when they experience repeated downtime and poor customer service.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

ASP-Hosting.ca
11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Exactly! Hosting companies offering everything for nothing usually put thousands of customers per box, which results in downtime and slow, unreliable service. The thing is that these companies don't care if they lose 10% of their customers per month due to bad service. That's is not problem for them because they get many more new ones with their "huge overselling" offers...

Offering everything for nothing is a dangerous and loosing game for any web host. Reputable hosting companies are now suffering as well from over inflating their plans and features. The industry as a whole suffers from customer expectations that cannot realistically be met. The sad part about that is that due to the low barriers to entry into this business we ourselves have created these expectations. I have seen it for nearly 10 years now and unfortunately do not see it ceasing any time soon.

I would however encourage reputable hosting companies not to play this loosing game and to join us in the business by raising the standards of excellence and reliability. Customers who price shop on unrealistic inflated features will eventually discover the old adage of "you get what you pay for" when they experience repeated downtime and poor customer service.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!