PDA

View Full Version : Windows / Unix - Servers

BrianRobinson
04-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I am green :D when it comes to understanding the advantage and disadvantage of Windows vs. Unix servers.

We have a website that is hosted through XO. There are programs that I cannot run because we cannot change permission on the files/folders. I think this is because XO uses Windows servers. (That's what I think... :o )

Is one better than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages? What should I look for in a new web host?

I should probably add that while I did build our website with Dreamweaver, and use Filezilla for ftp, beyond that, my knowledge is limited. Currently we php scripts, mysql and those sorts of things. (But usually I just follow a script for working with those.) So I don't want a web host or servers where it's complicated...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ilyabern
04-11-2006, 03:31 PM
The difference is in the languages that the OSs support. You know that since you used PHP, it's supported by Linux, Windows will support ASP. Experts usually agree that Linux is easier to use, better especially for beginners or novice users. People usually go with Windows if they have no choice. With that, 75% of hosting on the internet is done on the Linux platform.

Tech_32
04-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I'll agree

.PHP follows the cow around the pasture much better than .ASP does.

'NIX is so much more stable than windows server is and yes, it is a prefered choice amongst those who would be serious about site hosting.

You can easily change permissions in your file manager (cPanel), and, as far as using your ftp client, you might also consider using *file manager to upload your files as well, this is, of course, since you are using dreamweaver.

Chances are that your host is just fine.......you just need to learn your control panel functions better.....you might be pleasantly surprised to discover just how much power and control you really have.

cyberhostpro
04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
PHP works on windows, but is better on linux (apparently) ASP/aspx is for windows, personally i prefer windows myself, but everyone has there own opinion

highlander
04-19-2006, 12:28 PM
We have a website that is hosted through XO. There are programs that I cannot run because we cannot change permission on the files/folders. I think this is because XO uses Windows servers. (That's what I think... :o )

Start with an email to their support staff and ask them what type of servers they use.
Permissions are set differently with Linux or Windows.

ASP-Hosting.ca
04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Windows and Unix are just different operating systems. Some people prefer Windows, others Unix/Linux, but at the end is a question of personal preference.

James-A
06-09-2006, 02:47 AM
Is one better than the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Compared to windows, Linux has been considered as the best OS for Web servers. It is the most reliable, stable and efficient system used for the Web and mail servers. Advantage of linux is that it is an open source and free too, cheaper hosting fees and general features of FrontPage can be used (Except ASP and database generated pages).

innovative2001
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Hello,

Please note that there is a difference between the Operating System. if your site is contains the CGI-Perl scripts then the Linux server is powerful for that and if your site working with microsoft products means ASP, PHP or .NET then the windows server is best to prefer.

Furthermore, your site is build with the Dreamweaver and that contains PHP scripts then we must prefer the windows hosting because these kinds of scripts are good support on the windows server.