PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive managed server

mrcool
06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Managed Servers

I would like to get people's opinions on getting an inexpensive dedicated server and outsourcing support to one of these hosting support companies versus getting a managed server.

Thanks,

theheavenly
06-07-2006, 03:51 PM
If you're technically well and good to manage your dedicated server then there must not be a problem in outsourcing support. It may save your time a lot to focus upon your business. But do take a great care in choosing upon an outsourced support.

James-A
06-08-2006, 04:58 AM
I think for number of servers its better to outsource the support otherwise in case of one or two servers its good to have managed servers.

silvermoon
06-08-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi,
Maintaining an in house technical team is an expensive affair and
brings in enormous responsibilities. These responsibilities will take lot of
time of yours in maintaining these services at an optimum level. That
also means having sleepless nights thinking of ways to bring optimum
level of balance between support and cost towards maintaining the
technical team of expensive system admin(s).
silvermoon

zogmo_dave
06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Having a managed server really means having a servers hardware & software managed by the same people.

It is possible to outsource software administration but in the end it will just be them working with your data center support.

euk-damien
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I would recommend you to go for managed server in case if you don't know a lot about servers.If you take a non managed server and get support from outside, make sure they know and are able to troubleshoot about your OS and everything you are using on the server.

gobeer123
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
If and when my sites grow enough I'll get fully managed dedicated server.

alemcherry
09-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Getting a unmanaged and outsourcing the support may prove to be cheaper. You cna get a dedicated server from godaddy and outsource support. That would be cheaper than say, a liquidweb or a lot cheaper than a rackspace.