PDA

View Full Version : Help

NZIBelChris
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
OK, I am a newbie to this, and have a few questions about web hosting. Here is what I'm looking for:

The most important thing right now is an FTP server. I am building a database in MS Access now to track about 20,000 tickets and other data. Over the course of the next season, there will about 20,000 pdf ticket images that will need to be stored with the database. At least two other people will need to be able to access the database from anywhere in the southeast US, so I think FTP is the best option. I am going to build a web site eventually, but right now we just need a way to share the database. Seven days a week I will be uploading the database on to the FTP server, and at least one of the other ones will be uploading it back once a week. The database will eventually be several GB, so I am worried about bandwidth usage. Is an FTP server the best option for this, or is something else?

Also, I am thinking about using my laptop as the server, if I can. I don't know how to go about doing this exactly. My laptop has a 2.1 Ghz Processor, 2 GB Ram, and 200 GB hard drive space. I also have a 250 GB external drive.

Thanks.

IndigoHosts
06-19-2006, 04:05 PM
If yoursing your laptop as a server your going to need to leave it connected constantly, look for a host that will allow you enough storage and bandwidth and use that instead.