PDA

View Full Version : What Is the Meta Description Tag?

royal
03-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi Everyone,
It's a snippet of HTML code that belongs inside the <Head> </Head> section of a web page. It is usually placed after the Title tag and before the Meta keywords tag (if you use one), although the order is not important.

The proper syntax for this HTML tag is:

<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Your descriptive sentence or two goes here.">

If you're using a content management system (CMS), look for a field to fill out that's called Meta Description, or possibly just "Description."

Many years ago, the information contained in a Meta description could slightly help a page rank highly for the words that were contained within it. Today, neither Google, Bing, nor Yahoo! use it as a ranking signal.

In other words, whether you use your important keyword phrases in your Meta description tag or not, the position of your page in the search engine results will not be affected. So in terms of rankings, you could easily leave it out altogether.

jhonybravo222
04-19-2012, 02:19 AM
Meta description tag plays a vital role in getting high page rank. It shows as snippet under the title of your page on the result page that provides the short view of your site, weather it contains the valuable information required by the visitor or not.

Jashandeep
04-19-2012, 07:21 AM
I am not agree with thread starter.You will see when you search any key phrase in google it finds that relevant words in page title or meta description.Besides it,quality and relevant description to website can generate huge traffic when website appears in search snippet.

pavankumar
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
hi....

Meta description tag plays a vital role in getting high page rank.i hope you are agree with my answer.

watson123
04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Meta Descriptions, which are HTML attributes that provide concise explanations of the contents of web pages, are commonly used by search engines on search result pages to display preview snippets for a given page.