PDA

View Full Version : Does Unique Web Design Matter?

dacsoft
09-20-2004, 10:48 PM
How important is the website design to your decision to purchase hosting? Are you turned off by a templated design? What about those CMS sites? Does a unque design convince you that this is the best place to buy?

NS-Icon
09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi,

I don’t feel having a unique design is too important, at the end of the day customers are looking for other key factors in your company as well as the overall design.

Some customers are most likely to also be interested in the level of support provided, live chat/instant messenger features, package features and hosting plan price. If these features are what they expect then im sure the current site design would not put them off. If the customer finds your company reliable and the services offered meet their requirements i am more than certain they would sign up.

There is one major concern with non-unique website designs; Lets say for example company A has a website, and company B has the same design, now if company A had a customer who was not happy with the services provided and decided to look elsewhere for hosting, and came across company B's website, unless company B has ensured their website was slightly different, yet maintaining the same site design the customer may believe its the same company and not host.

So although its not too important to have a unique design, you should try to ensure their is one obvious difference, e.g.: a company logo or well formatted company name. This could help in similar situations as explained above.

earthstar
09-20-2004, 11:54 PM
I have read numerous articles on this very subject, and my belief is the your site design must be pleasing to the eye but simple. And certainly your site has to be easy to navigate

1PlanHost
09-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Agreed EarthStar, site design is extremely important when it comes to increasing vistor to sales conversion. Sometimes even the slightest change in design or content can make a significant difference in how sales convert.

Just last Friday, I had our graphics department at 1PlanHost change the main image on our homepage from one that had several employees standing in front of servers to one showing a lady relaxing with a cup of coffee. The results (sales increase) are already looking very promising but it is a little too early to tell.

It is important in my opinion to use images that speak to the visitor and help them identify rather than show images of servers. The difference is a change of focus on the customer, not the host. What do you think about that approach? Most hosts focus on themselves.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

earthstar
09-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Hey 1Plan, you hit the nail on the head on that one. I have been doing this web hosting thing for years and that is one thing that really amazes me. One simple change to your site can cause a huge impact, good and/or bad, especially with the search engines / bots.

But often overlooked is the appeal of the site to the human eye. To be blunt; Ain't nothing wrong with having a nice looking female on your index page :)

1PlanHost
09-21-2004, 12:42 AM
One positive thing I hope to see come of our recent change is that hopefully male customers will stop flirting with our female support staff over the phone so much. With the new image perhaps they will not identify the lady as our staff as much.

The previous image had a young lady and two guys in front of servers as seen at http://www.1planhost.com/images/boxes/powerfull.jpg and you wouldn't believe the number of comments our female support staff got off that image! They were courteous but flirting nevertheless.

earthstar
09-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Amazing. I had a manager (back when I worked for corporate America) tell me that Perception was everything. We used to call it the "Big P" (no jokes please).

At the time, which was over 10 years ago, I thought he was out of his mind.

Over 10 years later, I have to admit that he was correct.

1PlanHost
09-21-2004, 12:09 PM
EarthStar It looks like you are doing fine with the Big P now and putting out the right message. I really like the following marketing message on your site

Reliablility
Are you growing tired of your site being down? Stop the insanity and get your site on Earth Star Hosting. When it comes to web hosting, uptime is crucial to your sites success. At 99.9% uptime we have one the best records in the industry. Because we are focused on providing you with excellent services and support, we truly provide web hosting that you can count on.

Especially the "Hosting you can count on" part. Great Job!

highpr
09-27-2004, 07:26 PM
I think that the key to success is not a unique site design, but simply the volume of visitors that a site gets.

It's just a numbers game. A site with tons of visitors (qualified) will outperform a site with low site traffic everytime.

evisionpk
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes some time it is matter in case of Google supplemental results, and if once your website getting listed in google supplemental results then there is no chance to get update and rank in google. so thats proofs that your webdesign, your web content should be Unique.
for more Web design and SEO services, Questions and matters tune into:
http://www.evision.com.pk

ASP-Hosting.ca
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't like template designs, no matter on what sites are they used. The reason is that most of them (in one and the same industry) look alike, and this way it's hard to establish brand.

I don't think that uniqueness of your design has anything to do with Google's supplemental results though.

MorePen
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
definitely, the site design is a significant factor, if not the most important one...... but the site has to be a simple one....no clutter.....

johntod
08-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I have read numerous articles on this very subject, and my belief is the your site design must be pleasing to the eye but simple. And certainly your site has to be easy to navigate

You are right the site design is a significant factor, site design must be pleasing to the eye.

--------------------------------------
SEO (http://www.alkemi.com.au/)

rumsfo
08-29-2009, 05:08 AM
I assume johntod you need to check the thread title ;)

ItsJustHosting
08-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Website design is very important.

shakir
08-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Duplication design in SEO doesn't matter, but for site reputation its matter. I do not know if any report Google for abuse by using others design cause problem....regarding content m sure about penalization

arslan220
10-02-2009, 05:21 AM
these look great.

~ServerPoint~
10-03-2009, 04:01 AM
antique thread