PDA

View Full Version : Control panels

Valathar
11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
my question is this ive recently tried out several webhosting cotrol systems available open source recently and narrowed down the two i thought were best VHCS and ISPconfig are there any known security holes in either of these i should be aware of?

Ahmad
12-13-2006, 06:33 AM
You may read about VHCS fatal security holes and their blocking here (http://vhcs.net/new/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5085&forum=20).

MXHUB
12-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I read about servers that used VHCS had all the sites wipe out because of a security hole.

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I would never use an open-source hosting control panel. This is just inviting trouble. Anybody can look through the code and this way it's really easy to find security problems. A better choice would be to go with commercial control panel, which can be lease from $10 to $50 per month.

InfoRelay-Greg
12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
That's would be a good idea to wait for a while before you can use VHCS, Due to existing security issues with this software.

I would suggest you to wait for a while and see how things going there before use it for commercial needs.

Greg S.

HosTechS
01-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Hello,

Instead of open source control panel go for the some licensed control panels like cpanel, plesk, ensim. They have a better control over servers and also they have better control over the clients too.

Thank you.

Regards,

radnam
02-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Hello,

I would never use a open source cpanel as security loops would give me sleepless night and its better to spend few $$ to get peace of mind and ensure security for your clients

brillomax
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Cpanel is the best one... everyoen seems to love it and know it very well.

James-A
02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Yep, cPanel is fast and easy to use and you will be quick to pick up the ropes with it.

SagoBarry
02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Cpanel is too BLOATED. I personally like Interworx but cpanel is the industry standard. I also don’t agree about the open source comments above. There are plenty of open source softwares that work fine if you know how to use them. Webmin is great if you can figure it out. There are also quite a few open source control panels out these days and some are all a lot of people ever need. If you don’t know anything about Linux or managing a server then a proprietary control panel would probably be better for you.

ASP-Hosting.ca
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't like CPanel either. I've heard that it has way too many security holes too. I like DirectAdmin better - simple, stable and easy to use.

darkestnight
04-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Personally I really like cPanel! If you think it's bloated, you know you can turn features off? Any way, I think it really gets the job done, and it appears to be the industry standard, therefore my clients seem happy with it too!

HComm
04-12-2007, 03:21 PM
cPanel is a good program, we offer it on all of our shared platforms.
However, if you are in a situation where you need to be frugal about server overhead, then either Plesk, DirectAdmin or Interworx are better choices.
cPanel runs it's own separate instance of Apache and sucks down more than twice the cpu of any other control panel.

Our shared servers are SuperMicro and run a minimum of 8 Gigs ECC RAM on dual AMD dual core opterons through 100Mbps uplinks to Savvis fiber.
We're OK with running cPanel on them.

Aside from control panels, if you log into your shell account and run 'top', you will see that MySQL is the next biggest culprit often using huge percentages of CPU on sites that run forums, cms (Joomla!, phpNuke, Mambo, etc) and other db intensive applications.

Alcatrazz
04-16-2007, 03:10 AM
If you don’t know anything about Linux or managing a server then a proprietary control panel would probably be better for you.
That's the main reason why cpanel is so popular.

Bobby
04-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I like web hosting companies with custom control panels. I think that it gives you opotunity to make criticisms.

hostcadet
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
HyperVM has LxAdmin its not too bad and has really low pricing not free but close to it. Plus it runs on hardly no system resources.

willstock351
07-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Instead of open source control panel go for the some licensed control panels like cpanel, plesk, ensim. They have a better control over servers and also they have better control over the clients too.

nelsoncobb447
07-31-2012, 04:36 AM
As a substitute of open source control panel drive for the number of approved control panels similar to cpanel, plesk, ensim and many others.

dennywills75
11-07-2012, 03:58 AM
It is always preferable to make use of licensed control panels similar to that of ensim, cpanel and plesk. The tools provide an effective control over the servers.

alfredo85
12-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Please have a look at VHCS fatal security holes and read it from online sources.you may have better options.

williammichael0
05-19-2015, 04:36 AM
You are always asked to get in touch with the reliable companies, known for offering you with the best control panels of all time and with effective results.