PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Commandments for choosing a Domain name

thomson
07-10-2012, 11:07 AM
It’s decided, you will be present on the web. You have chosen a Web Hosting (http://www.axelaris-hosting.com/vps-hosting) provider for your website. You know what you will put into your site to your audience.
But have you thought through your Domain Name (http://www.axelaris-hosting.com/domains)?

Choosing a Domain Name is very important, for the future of your website. When someone thinks of your website, he will think of it by name. If your name is also your URL, he will automatically know where to go. For example, when people think of axelaris-hosting.com, they don't have to wonder what URL to type into their browser to get a web provider of hosting solutions. The name of the web provider is also the URL.

Here are some rules :

- It should be short
- It should be easy to remember
- It should be easy to spell
- It should be easy to type
- It should be descriptive
- It should be unique
- It should be related to your business name
- It should be related to your product name
- It should be related to your service name
- It must have an extension: .com, .net, .info, .org, …

JerrickYeoh
07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Here some minor tips to add on :
- It would be great if the keywords is match to the keyword that you wish to target
- Try to ignore putting datch or hyphen between the domain name.
- Try to ignore the use of number in domain name while might spoil the keywords
- Could try to use own country level domain extension if you just target on specific country .
- Do not order domain name that might cause trademark issues.

janinaMD
07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
hm, wow so many rules to choose a domain name! well, it must have an extension: .com, .net, .info cause they ALL do. and you CANNOt have them without one. but yeah, very very incredibly source of information, I might have otherwise picked something like www.abcdefg.com :D but now I know how to NOT make this mistake.

DanielChew
08-08-2012, 12:19 AM
hm, wow so many rules to choose a domain name! well, it must have an extension: .com, .net, .info cause they ALL do. and you CANNOt have them without one. but yeah, very very incredibly source of information, I might have otherwise picked something like www.abcdefg.com :D but now I know how to NOT make this mistake.

It is possible that you may purchase all the domain name with dfferent extension as if you feel that name is important to you and your company.

thomson
08-30-2012, 06:08 AM
A domain like abcdef.com haven't a lot of luck to be visited or known

williamsjack
08-31-2012, 05:08 AM
this is very valuable information u have shared here.

abhishekabhi
09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
HI

domain name should be short and easy to remember.

unlukyfellow
08-08-2014, 01:22 AM
Nice information. This information is very useful to choose domain. And i register my domain at cheap rates from XnYnZ.com (http://www.xnynz.com/domains/search.aspx?ci=1775&prog_id=456858) here they have many deals at reasonable price.They provide good customer service and support.