PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server for running a free web hosting

Khun
09-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Does any one offer a dedicated server that I can use for running a free web hosting?

wisehosting
09-30-2004, 05:16 AM
not for free :D

Khun
09-30-2004, 05:22 AM
I mean, I'll pay for that server but I'll use that server for run a free web host

wisehosting
09-30-2004, 06:01 AM
I thought that :)

Whats your budget and what are you thinking of offering clients spec wise?

Khun
09-30-2004, 06:17 AM
My budget is around $100/m. my service is

free web hosting
- 25 MB of Storage
- 3GB of data Transfer
- FREE Sub Domain
- No Email Addresses/Forwards
- No CGI & SSI Scripting
- PHP Allowed
- Banner Advertising On customer site

wisehosting
09-30-2004, 06:58 AM
would you consider a VPS instead of a dedicated? You would get a very low end dedicated machine for $100 - a vps would allow you to migrate onto dedicated later on if the need arises . . . yet you still have root control?

Linux or windows? Any control panel?

wisehosting
09-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Best I can do is WHM / Cpanel with full support / sysadmin for $150 monthly

Perhaps you check out some of the bargain basement servers at the datacenters - eg tranxact global etc - although you would be the sysadmin for the server . .

hostonfire.com
11-17-2004, 04:13 AM
I think VPS will be a better option to save on costs.

aznrex
12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
hey,
goto www.synergyblue.com
i am a reseller for them, look at their servers i can give u a 10% discount on any of those but in order to get the discount u need to contact me first.
by emailing me aznrex@gmail.com
or AIM n000bie01

dchman
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Anyone know how to insert the header on every page like what Fortunecity is doing with their FREE hosting services?

I think there's a configuration on Apache that will enable me to do this. But how? :confused: I am more familiar with Windows's IIS but not sure if IIS can do this. :(

Khun
12-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Anyone know how to insert the header on every page like what Fortunecity is doing with their FREE hosting services?

I think there's a configuration on Apache that will enable me to do this. But how? :confused: I am more familiar with Windows's IIS but not sure if IIS can do this. :(

I'm curious that too

ASP-Hosting.ca
01-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Does any one offer a dedicated server that I can use for running a free web hosting?

Get a server from ServerMatrix or EV1Servers. As for the footer you can do this from IIS on Windows.

absolut
01-08-2005, 03:38 PM

You need a apache module that will add your banner html-code in the body tag for all html-pages. This is very simple. I don't know such module (cause I don't need it), but Apache is free open source project with full documentation about how to write your own module.

dchman
01-11-2005, 01:47 PM
I know that Apache can do that but I don't have any experience with Apache. Do you know if I can achieve the same result with IIS? I want to insert something to the top of all Web documents. Thanks! :rolleyes:

ASP-Hosting.ca
01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I know that Apache can do that but I don't have any experience with Apache. Do you know if I can achieve the same result with IIS? I want to insert something to the top of all Web documents. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Here is exactly what you need :)

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/all/proddocs/en-us/pub_addingfooter.mspx

dchman
01-12-2005, 07:26 AM

ASP-Hosting.ca
01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
You are welcome :)

dchman
03-03-2005, 11:45 AM
What ASP-Hosting.ca directed me to was the instruction of how to insert the footers. Does anyone know how I can insert a header? IIS has supported the footer for several versions. This didn't seem to be what I wanted. I couldn't find out the trick to insert the header :confused:

1PlanHost
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Khun, I am curious as to how you are running the numbers on free hosting service. Historically speaking they usually turn out to be a financial loss. The backlinks for SEO purposes may prove to be valuable but then again Google and others tend to limit the impact on thousands of links originating from the same Class C IP block. There was once a big name Windows host that got into serious PR problems when they used the footer technique to create a hidden file (with backlink to their site) on ALL of their customers pages without permission. Sure they shot up there like a rocket in the search positions but then rapidly declined. Of course you are talking about a free service where the customers would agree in advance to have the footer on their pages so it may work out for you if you have lots of customers.

If you are not running email and dont need root level access to the server, we may be able to rent a server to you along that price range. We do not provide colo or dedicated with root access at this time but do offer managed dedicated servers. The price would obviously depend on how the server is configured and required bandwidth usage.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

Khun
04-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Khun, I am curious as to how you are running the numbers on free hosting service. Historically speaking they usually turn out to be a financial loss. The backlinks for SEO purposes may prove to be valuable but then again Google and others tend to limit the impact on thousands of links originating from the same Class C IP block. There was once a big name Windows host that got into serious PR problems when they used the footer technique to create a hidden file (with backlink to their site) on ALL of their customers pages without permission. Sure they shot up there like a rocket in the search positions but then rapidly declined. Of course you are talking about a free service where the customers would agree in advance to have the footer on their pages so it may work out for you if you have lots of customers.

If you are not running email and dont need root level access to the server, we may be able to rent a server to you along that price range. We do not provide colo or dedicated with root access at this time but do offer managed dedicated servers. The price would obviously depend on how the server is configured and required bandwidth usage.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

checking the following page http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-39%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=link%3Awww.fortunecity.com

Thay are #1 rank in "web hosting" most of the link are from sub domain that thay offer a free host :confused:

ASP-Hosting.ca
04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
then again Google and others tend to limit the impact on thousands of links originating from the same Class C IP block.

This is simply not true.