PDA

View Full Version : Is HostGator as bad as they say?

richardvan1
04-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey guys and gals..

was looking into using hostgator but i was told not to ? anyone use them
also found a really bad review for them from a couple places

one of them here webhostingreview.ca/hostgator-review.htm

anyone els have such problems ?

bermuda
07-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi, I really don't know what you have heard but there are many happy customers from them on the web.

Their prices are a little bit higher than the other competitors and they are not overselling their products like some companies.

But if you have some real truth and proof about them, it would be nice to let us know.

felosi
07-21-2007, 12:29 PM
you get what you pay for and if anyone belives for a second that you would be able to use any of these crazy allocations they offer you are dead wrong. You wouldnt be able to use even half of it even if you just had text files, they would find some reason to suspend you and hostgator is notorious for kicking people for "resource usage"

if you run a half busy site or even want some kind of quality then hostgator or any similiar host for that matter wouldnt be a good idea

LoL I just seen where the guy above me said they dont oversell, are you kidding me? Do the math man, hell just google http://www.google.com/search?q=suspended+from+hostgator+resource+abuse&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS230US231&pwst=1&start=10&sa=N

If the majority of people on the net had any common sense overselling hosts like this would not even be in business. There is no way you can actually use that allocation and I bet money no one ever has even come close without being suspended!

Gene Steinberg
07-21-2007, 09:59 PM
you get what you pay for and if anyone belives for a second that you would be able to use any of these crazy allocations they offer you are dead wrong. You wouldnt be able to use even half of it even if you just had text files, they would find some reason to suspend you and hostgator is notorious for kicking people for "resource usage"

if you run a half busy site or even want some kind of quality then hostgator or any similiar host for that matter wouldnt be a good idea

LoL I just seen where the guy above me said they dont oversell, are you kidding me? Do the math man, hell just google http://www.google.com/search?q=suspended+from+hostgator+resource+abuse&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS230US231&pwst=1&start=10&sa=N

If the majority of people on the net had any common sense overselling hosts like this would not even be in business. There is no way you can actually use that allocation and I bet money no one ever has even come close without being suspended!

I can't speak to HostGator, but this overselling FUD is for the birds, and it's time it stops.

True the large bandwidth/storage is, in part, marketing. Folks with database-driven sites will hit resource limits before the rest, of course. But folks with static sites that don't use lots of resources can and do approach the limits at some of these hosts.

The real measurement here is uptime, performance and the quality of support. If you get that, and you're offered the amount of bandwidth and storage you need, the rest doesn't matter.

MorePen
07-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Hostgator definitely oversells.....no doubt about it.......

I wish someone is able to find the optimum balance between increasing the no. of customers and still providing all of them a good experience....its tough, but definitely that someone will be the winner in the long term....

ahem...just MHO

whtoplist
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
You wouldnt be able to use even half of it even if you just had text files, they would find some reason to suspend you and hostgator is notorious for kicking people for "resource usage"

It seems that Hostgator has acceptable resource usage policy. In their terms of service is:

User may not:
a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.

...this is the only resource limit I have found. Most hosts have 2 types of resource usage limits:

1. Short time limit like HostGator (some % of resources during 90, 120 or 180 seconds).
2. Daily limit - usually 3 - 5% of system resources during 24 hours.

Daily limit is usually the reason why many web hosting accounts are suspended. Hostgator short time limit can be problem only in case if you have extremelly bad written scripts - if your script need more then 25% of server resources for 90 seconds you should consider virtual private server or dedicated server. No web host can afford to host such websites on shared server because there are many other websites on the same server.