PDA

View Full Version : The future of dedicated servers?

RadixHosting
05-02-2007, 04:34 PM
What do you guys think is the future of the dedicated servers market? It seems like more and more people purchase VPS' instead of dedicated servers... In some cases this is just a small step leading to a dedicated server, but others just stick with the VPS.

I never really understood the advantages of a VPS anyways... Mind to share some thoughts?

ASP-Hosting.ca
05-02-2007, 08:48 PM
What do you guys think is the future of the dedicated servers market? It seems like more and more people purchase VPS' instead of dedicated servers... In some cases this is just a small step leading to a dedicated server, but others just stick with the VPS.

I never really understood the advantages of a VPS anyways... Mind to share some thoughts?

I don't think that VPs will fully replace dedicated servers. There will always be people looking for their own physical machine, versus having VPS...

eukhost
05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I think Dedicated Servers are here to stay. Although isolated, with a VPS you are basically sharing the resources of a single dedicated server between all of the VPSs hosted on it. Also the resources are limited in a VPS as compared to a Dedicated server so for those who need more resources will definitely opt for or upgrade to a dedicated.

LesJPC
05-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I think Dedicated Servers are here to stay. Although isolated, with a VPS you are basically sharing the resources of a single dedicated server between all of the VPSs hosted on it. Also the resources are limited in a VPS as compared to a Dedicated server so for those who need more resources will definitely opt for or upgrade to a dedicated.

Yes this is correct. There is a natural progression of resource requirements in hosting. Starting with shared hosting, VPS, then on to dedicated servers and capping at clusters. As a websites popularity grows it will inevitably require more CPU/RAM/Disk. Along with increased popularity comes the increased desire for the ever elusive 100% uptime which is only realistic with clusters.

ASP-Hosting.ca
05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
There is a natural progression of resource requirements in hosting.

I coudn't agree more. Today's customers expect more web space, more monthly data transfer and more features for less money. I see hosts offering shared hosting plans with 100s of GB space and 1000s of GB transfer per month. It's kind of sad...

Callisto
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
At least at first sight it's reselling sector that grows at the fastest rate, things are not the same with dedicated services, but with more and more projects getting online every year and growth of the general level of server administration skills, dedicated services will be in demand.

FeliXdk
05-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I believe there are different motives for choosing a virtual server instead of a dedicated server, including:

1) Lower price
2) No need for the dedicated resources
3) A lot of extra management & backup options
Especially option number three is interesting i think. When people can rent a server that they can reboot, reinstall, backup, restore and much more via a web interface, it gives them a better level of security and reliability.
A market gaining option is the virtual dedicated server where the client gets an entire dedicated system, but the actual server is running as a VPS on the server to give the client all the extra management/backup features.

Anyway, i agree dedicated servers are here to stay and that some clients use a VPS as a starting point and then later on upgrade to a dedicated server. No doubt about that.

hostingexposed
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Depending on where you go, VPS hosting is much like shared hosting. Just slightly more features, less restrictions, etc. But as brought out, one of the biggest downsides to a VPS is sharing the machines resources with someone else. This actually leads to more problems than people think it would. For instance...

People choose the VPS route once they've outgrown the shared hosting platform. Many of the people upgrading should actually be moving to a dedicated server. But for fear, price constraints, or other reasons they choose not to. This causes problems for other on the VPS box. It's not hard, if your maxing out your shared hosting's potential, to do the same with a VPS. As its often glorified Shared Hosting. Making everyone else on that box suffer because your site is hogging resources.

This is just one problem that arises. As long as there is the internet Dedicated servers will be a must have. Also there are simply some things you cannot do unless you have a dedicated server. Maybe only a few things, but for people like myself, dedicated servers are an absolute must have. (obviously small sites, personal blogs, and the like don't require such hardware)

egenial
05-21-2007, 07:36 AM
From studying hosting packages offered by a number of companies (random choice), I can figure out that VPS isn't really popular, as the majority of hosts offer shared-reseller-dedicated plans.

TSHOST
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I think VPS is a good option for the person not completely ready for the dedicated server, but not really just wanting a reseller cpanel account or something. I think dedicated servers are here to stay, but as we all know they are getting more and more powerful and the market is FULL of people selling them, so its getting to the point where companies have to be creative to find a niche in the market.

HV | Tracy
06-30-2007, 09:14 AM

VPS's have no advantages over shared hosting other than giving someone root access to install their own scripts/software. And of course they fell all fuzzy inside.

When they start to tax their little VPS, it will melt. We used to offer VPS's back in 2003-2204 when SWSoft just came onto the market..... didn't take long to see that they sure know how to hype a product.

Gene Steinberg
06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
VPS's have no advantages over shared hosting other than giving someone root access to install their own scripts/software. And of course they fell all fuzzy inside.

When they start to tax their little VPS, it will melt. We used to offer VPS's back in 2003-2204 when SWSoft just came onto the market..... didn't take long to see that they sure know how to hype a product.

You may be right, in terms of your particular setup, but I do not agree. My experience with VPS has been exemplary. It is very much like having your own, small dedicated sever, with full control over almost every aspect of the user experience. With shared, someone else can tax the server and take you down with them.

HV | Tracy
06-30-2007, 10:03 PM
My friend unless your using Xen or VMWare, the same can happen to a VPS.

Virtuozzo and OpenVZ allows hosts to oversell *everything* for a VPS. Disk, Memory and Processor.

So with that said, if everyone uses what they are promised... the server is still coming down.

I have been hosting websites since 2001 and I have yet had a shared client take down a server... knock on wood.

We were one of the first users of HSPComplete/Virtuozzo back in 2002. I have been there and done that and not excited to go back... except for offering a better VPS using Xen might be an option.

Gene Steinberg
06-30-2007, 10:21 PM
My friend unless your using Xen or VMWare, the same can happen to a VPS.

Virtuozzo and OpenVZ allows hosts to oversell *everything* for a VPS. Disk, Memory and Processor.

So with that said, if everyone uses what they are promised... the server is still coming down.

I have been hosting websites since 2001 and I have yet had a shared client take down a server... knock on wood.

We were one of the first users of HSPComplete/Virtuozzo back in 2002. I have been there and done that and not excited to go back... except for offering a better VPS using Xen might be an option.

You evidently have a limited experience with shared hosting, even though you are in the business. I've seen situations where those who abuse resources can definitely bring down a shared server. I can't believe you haven't personally encountered such a situation, unless you are very, very conservative about what you put on your servers.

As to VPS, yes I use Virtuozzo. Since you don't know who my host is, you don't know if they are overselling VPS or not. From what they tell me, they aren't. I am aware of the server and its capacity, for example, and how many VPS systems are on it.

James-A
07-03-2007, 10:13 AM

VPS gives you the features and functionality of a dedicated server without the cost of building and maintaining one. If you need to host unlimited domains, have complete control of your environment and run your own applications, then you will benefit from having a VPS. In addition, a VPS provides the ability to manage your dedicated environment directly through SSH.

HV | Tracy
07-03-2007, 11:09 AM
You evidently have a limited experience with shared hosting, even though you are in the business. I've seen situations where those who abuse resources can definitely bring down a shared server. I can't believe you haven't personally encountered such a situation, unless you are very, very conservative about what you put on your servers.

As to VPS, yes I use Virtuozzo. Since you don't know who my host is, you don't know if they are overselling VPS or not. From what they tell me, they aren't. I am aware of the server and its capacity, for example, and how many VPS systems are on it.

The problem with Virtuozzo is that the customer is not guaranteed a minimum of resources, but has a maximum for everything.

Heh... Limited Experience... thats a good one.

You may have crappy servers, I however do not. If not that, you (or your "staff") must have messed something up with your limited experience.

HV | Tracy
07-03-2007, 11:12 AM
VPS gives you the features and functionality of a dedicated server without the cost of building and maintaining one. If you need to host unlimited domains, have complete control of your environment and run your own applications, then you will benefit from having a VPS. In addition, a VPS provides the ability to manage your dedicated environment directly through SSH.

Let me ask you this... would you purchase a dedicated server with 256MB of ram and expect it to perform? What if you were not even guaranteed to be able to use your 256MB of ram?

Doesn't sound to enticing now does it?

I am all for VPS's but they are not the best thing since sliced bread. It might make you feel cozy inside that you have the "power of root" but thats about it.

Gene Steinberg
07-03-2007, 11:16 AM
The problem with Virtuozzo is that the customer is not guaranteed a minimum of resources, but has a maximum for everything.

Heh... Limited Experience... thats a good one.

You may have crappy servers, I however do not. If not that, you (or your "staff") must have messed something up with your limited experience.

Your comment doesn't follow what I said, which is that I've had great experience with my VPS setup. My host doesn't use crappy servers -- the one handling my setup is an 3GHz 8-core Xeron with 12GB RAM. You call that crappy?

HV | Tracy
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Your comment doesn't follow what I said, which is that I've had great experience with my VPS setup. My host doesn't use crappy servers -- the one handling my setup is an 3GHz 8-core Xeron with 12GB RAM. You call that crappy?

Ok. I give. You win. Your smart.

Mark07
07-15-2007, 10:55 AM

I would agree with what James mentioned regarding VPS. It is better for specific needs but certainly it would never replace the need for dedicated servers.

Gene Steinberg
07-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I would agree with what James mentioned regarding VPS. It is better for specific needs but certainly it would never replace the need for dedicated servers.

And I don't think anyone says that it would. It's a lower-cost way to get a lot of what dedicated servers offer. Consider it an intermediate step, OK?

Mark07
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
And I don't think anyone says that it would. It's a lower-cost way to get a lot of what dedicated servers offer. Consider it an intermediate step, OK?

Yeah definitely we may consider it as one, SIR.

Colo-UK
07-16-2007, 05:10 PM
VPS is great for low usage and resources but for things like gaming servers that needed higher an dedicated resources a VPS won't really be up to the job.

VPS is ideal for most web and mail hosting needs though.

Ryan-Limestone
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
VPS are a great way to get into this market, unfortunately many people tend to buy a VPS assuming it will go much further than it will. VPS are very limited, and as such have virtually no expandability (in my experience). I would not buy a 2 thousand dollar car if I could afford to put 2 thousand into a better car that would be more reliable with lower miles. In essence you are buying into your own capacity for the future. A Dedicated is signifgantly more expensive than a VPS, but your capabilities are much greater, and your ability to grow and expand is much greater. A VPS is great for someone who is not planning on growing the online sector of their business/site. There is no need to buy more than you will need, but there is a very distinctive difference between buying what you need now, and what you have the capacity/plans to grow into.

Just my 2 cents.

Gene Steinberg
09-18-2007, 05:59 PM
VPS are a great way to get into this market, unfortunately many people tend to buy a VPS assuming it will go much further than it will. VPS are very limited, and as such have virtually no expandability (in my experience). I would not buy a 2 thousand dollar car if I could afford to put 2 thousand into a better car that would be more reliable with lower miles. In essence you are buying into your own capacity for the future. A Dedicated is signifgantly more expensive than a VPS, but your capabilities are much greater, and your ability to grow and expand is much greater. A VPS is great for someone who is not planning on growing the online sector of their business/site. There is no need to buy more than you will need, but there is a very distinctive difference between buying what you need now, and what you have the capacity/plans to grow into.

Just my 2 cents.

This is just not correct. You can definitely add RAM and storage space to your VPS setup. This is a software setting your host can do. Obviously they charge more for that. But within the limits of VPS, it can take you a lot farther in terms of system resources than shared.

Obviously, the ideal is dedicated, but when you can't afford it :)

MarbleHost.com
10-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Honestly, with Google going places (quietly) like Google News in the direction towards a major publisher alongside its switchboard operations, I think the future of hosting will drastically change with any decisions they have on offering hosting themselves.

Dimension4
10-23-2007, 09:55 AM
A VPS has it's use, like if you need root access but are not running a lot of sites or don't need a ton of space or processing power. But all in all, you still give up quite a bit of control with a VPS depending on what else is hosted on other VPS on the server. You still cannot beat the performance and control of a dedicated server, I've used plenty of both and a poorly setup VPS (like too many on 1 server) is a real pain. It's like anything in the shared hosting environment, it depends on how "oversold" it is and how well it is managed overall.

Gene Steinberg
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
A VPS has it's use, like if you need root access but are not running a lot of sites or don't need a ton of space or processing power. But all in all, you still give up quite a bit of control with a VPS depending on what else is hosted on other VPS on the server. You still cannot beat the performance and control of a dedicated server, I've used plenty of both and a poorly setup VPS (like too many on 1 server) is a real pain. It's like anything in the shared hosting environment, it depends on how "oversold" it is and how well it is managed overall.

Having recently used VPS, and it was with a properly setup server, I can definitely attest to the fact that it is an affordable and useful intermediary step between shared and dedicated. Not everyone has the budget to cover the costs of the latter even when they outgrow the former.

Dimension4
10-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Having recently used VPS, and it was with a properly setup server, I can definitely attest to the fact that it is an affordable and useful intermediary step between shared and dedicated. Not everyone has the budget to cover the costs of the latter even when they outgrow the former.

Very true, a VPS does make a great step in the dedicated direction. It also gives you a chance to get used to a "dedicated" environment, such as using SSH and using a more powerful control panel than was available on a reseller account (Ie: WHM has more functions available on a VPS or Dedicated than on most reseller accounts)

Gene Steinberg
10-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Very true, a VPS does make a great step in the dedicated direction. It also gives you a chance to get used to a "dedicated" environment, such as using SSH and using a more powerful control panel than was available on a reseller account (Ie: WHM has more functions available on a VPS or Dedicated than on most reseller accounts)

And, if you get in trouble, you are in a fairly closed environment. But one should proceed with caution beyond the standard stuff. WHM has settings that can cause trouble. :)

damonebrice
08-31-2010, 07:08 AM
At least at first sight it's marketing sector that develops at the fastest rate, things are not the like with devoted services, but with more and more designs getting online every year and increase of the general flat of server organization skills, dedicated services will be in involve.

darrween483
09-03-2010, 07:04 AM
As a websites popularity grows it will inevitably require more CPU/RAM/Disk. Along with increased popularity comes the increased desire for the ever elusive 100% uptime which is only realistic with clusters.

-----------------------------------------------
SEO Manchester (http://www.totallyseo.co.uk/)

Ivan Hutchins
09-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I coudn't agree more. Today's customers expect more web space, more monthly data transfer and more features for less . I see hosts offering shared hosting plans with 100s of GB space and 1000s of GB transfer per month.

Mark Kate
09-30-2010, 02:13 AM
VPS are cheaper compared to dedi, less powerful.

It's like comparing toyota to a lexus

Dedicated Servers (http://www.ezzi.net/) | Cheap Dedicated Servers (http://www.ezzi.net/)

tomhackins
10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Dedicated server has so many benefits. Dedicated server provides Greater Reliability, Security, Custom Configuration, Speed performance, Your Own IP Address and many more.

charcoal
10-19-2010, 05:35 AM
popularity of web hosting took us to growing in number of small websites, so they dont need much space/powers etc what can provide dedicated servers that's because it is so many VPSs now. but dedicated servers will be forever, everything depends on what do you need from server

jhoncamron799
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Some future of dedicated servers are:

Having latest topmost hardware’s for your business applications is the most important thing to have with dedicated servers.
You can choose your operating system that fits in your requirement as per your business requirement, for instance Linux Dedicated Servers or Windows Dedicated Servers. The ability to have a complete control on your dedicated server is an important requirement.
A 24×7 technical support is very important when you have a dedicated server.

---------------------------------------
Utah Uterine Fibroids Treatment (http://www.utahfibroids.com)

randytaylor789
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't cerebrate that VPs will fully replace dedicated servers. There will always be group looking for their own physical machine, versus having VPS.

alexsaca
02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I agree with you that the purchase of VPS is increased as compare to dedicated server. But still so many companies required dedicated servers to share their space and bandwidth with other websites.

manoharparakh
10-11-2018, 03:31 AM
Big businesses go for dedicated hosting because of reliability and speed. These servers also tend to be more configurable than other options, as well as being completely isolated.

A web host should not necessarily give up a dedicated server hosting (https://www.esds.co.in/dedicated-server-hosting) option. If infrastructure and resources permit, then hosts should definitely venture into cloud hosting and the latest technologies, but giving up dedicated hosting may not be the right decision.

Needless to say, both the services can be a part of your roster, and you may continue to offer them to respective clients according to their specific needs. If you've been living under the fear that your profit margins may take a toll due to a radical decrease in demand for dedicated hosting, then you can breathe a sigh of relief for the time being!

amandalove
12-31-2018, 12:20 PM