PDA

View Full Version : How to improve my web design?

MarbleHost.com
10-07-2007, 03:06 AM
I've been seeing a lot of threads (not just here) lately asking for advice on how to improve web design in some form or another, and thought that I would take the time to add my two cents based on my own experiences with clients.

1. First and foremost, one needs to realize that everything requires constant striving for improvement. Do not stop looking for ways to update and upgrade your website.

2. Simplicity can speak kilometers to a meter of bundled complication. Strive for clarity, ease of use, and aesthetic value. Often times, you may find that less is more in these areas. Be precise about your site's features and cut out anything that doesn't actually help your user.

3. Scour your userbase for any signs of fans and customers that would be happy to help design for the site pro bono or for very little. Often times, you may find that a simple but interesting contest can be run to generate samples, with the prize winner having their design portion displayed and used as well as a sample prize of your product.

4. Try to brainstorm as many features as possible before designing to cut down on design costs. The more you know in the beginning means a much lower chance of colliding code, and often times can mean a reduced design time overall.

5. Research the competition. What do your peers offer that you do not? What do you offer that your peers do not? Compare and contrast, and you may find simple things to add to set you out and above the rest.

6. Above all else, pay attention to your user. If possible, survey them and solicit them for comments/suggestions/complaints. After all, your site might look good to you and have all of the features that you think it would need to interact with your product, but what if your users think otherwise? You won't know unless you ask them, usually.

If you have anything to add, feel free!

anthonyvn
12-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Very practical experiences :) thanks for the post!

antwon
12-27-2007, 02:06 AM
good information here... thanks for sharing them... this can help me in improving my work on web designing... learned a lot today... thanks

bermuda
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Great article. There clearly should be a difference between designing websites for people or for the search engines, and also between web designing and developing.

Some websites are great, informative and user friendly while others might just be developed for having better search engines traffic.

mavines
01-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I would advice another paragraph here:

7. Something at the site must catch customer's eyes. This is really essential. Show something that attracts customer at least for... 5 seconds )) This should be enough to make your sites memorable among others...

hostingITrust
03-21-2008, 04:05 AM
I would say you should leave the your company website design to the professionals. That what they do and are usually very good at it. You can tell them what you want and what you wish to achive.

ASP-Hosting.ca
03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I would say you should leave the your company website design to the professionals. That what they do and are usually very good at it. You can tell them what you want and what you wish to achive.

I agree. Also different industry segments will require different approach to web design. If a simple design works for one site, this doesn't mean it will work well for another.

tiktik
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM

I also agree on that.

tomherry
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Very useful article. Nice try to tell everybody.
thanks...........

seoman
06-01-2008, 07:36 AM
Nice information there :)

However one should also try to make his/her website search engine friendly. Search engine optimization will bring natural visitors/clicks towards your website. Therefore make sure that your website is adhering to basic SEO norms. You should ensure that your website is getting crawled by various search engine crawlers in order to gain search engine rankings on Google and Yahoo.

Web Design combined with SEO can help you in gaining higher rankings on search engines. If your web design consists of too many javascripts then search engines will not like it. :)

DionDev
06-16-2008, 12:55 AM
what i do is i bookmark sites with designs i like

then i incorporate some elements of each design into my site

i also hand-draw most of my layouts on a piece of paper before i start on them in photohsop

12beatme
06-18-2008, 01:34 AM
Check these awesome sites and you'll learn from them:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
http://woork.blogspot.com/
http://ndesign-studio.com/

DionDev
06-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Check these awesome sites and you'll learn from them:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
http://woork.blogspot.com/
http://ndesign-studio.com/

theyre ok, the ndesign one is the most appealing

A2Hosting
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
I definitely like rule #1. You always have to strive to have that fresh content on your site.

karankaran
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
www.zimplit.org take a look over it !!

beckyrubecca
12-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Power scribe internet solutions will afford you with ample information to improve your site. web design UK (http://www.powerscribe.com/).

Joseph88
12-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Many web designers make money using free ecommerce website to build inexpensive ecommerce stores that are cost effective and LOW -COST.

Jeff way
01-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks for this tips! and i love to hear more tips and ideas for improving website design Appreciate you!

clint999
03-02-2009, 06:10 AM
theyre ok, the ndesign one is the most appealing

bendix
03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been seeing a lot of threads (not just here) lately asking for advice on how to improve web design in some form or another, and thought that I would take the time to add my two cents based on my own experiences with clients.

1. First and foremost, one needs to realize that everything requires constant striving for improvement. Do not stop looking for ways to update and upgrade your website.

2. Simplicity can speak kilometers to a meter of bundled complication. Strive for clarity, ease of use, and aesthetic value. Often times, you may find that less is more in these areas. Be precise about your site's features and cut out anything that doesn't actually help your user.

3. Scour your userbase for any signs of fans and customers that would be happy to help design for the site pro bono or for very little. Often times, you may find that a simple but interesting contest can be run to generate samples, with the prize winner having their design portion displayed and used as well as a sample prize of your product.

4. Try to brainstorm as many features as possible before designing to cut down on design costs. The more you know in the beginning means a much lower chance of colliding code, and often times can mean a reduced design time overall.

5. Research the competition. What do your peers offer that you do not? What do you offer that your peers do not? Compare and contrast, and you may find simple things to add to set you out and above the rest.

6. Above all else, pay attention to your user. If possible, survey them and solicit them for comments/suggestions/complaints. After all, your site might look good to you and have all of the features that you think it would need to interact with your product, but what if your users think otherwise? You won't know unless you ask them, usually.

If you have anything to add, feel free!

I think this is a great advice on how to improve web design skills for every one here specially to beginners... thanks for that...

lozanoerwin
03-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Perfect!
I just published my first website and I was sticking to these principles... but I really find I hard to follow for start. I'm now thinking of 2nd revision for my site.
New ideas are now coming :)

thanks a lot!

happy
05-12-2009, 02:42 AM
thanks for sharing this useful information. I will definitely implement it in my coming website. thanks once again for this excellent tips.

solution
05-12-2009, 06:41 AM

6. makiing bigger
http://www.globalhostingtalk.com/2009/05/11/never-been-so-professional-and-bigger-like-this/

7.pay attention to your user. If possible, survey them and solicit them for comments/suggestions/complaints. After all, your site might look good to you and have all of the features that you think it would need to interact with your product, but what if your users think otherwise? You won't know unless you ask them, usually.

Oracle
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Every website should be very clear and forthcoming about its purpose. Either include a brief descriptive blurb on the homepage of your website, or provide an ‘About us’ (or equivalent) page with a prominent and obvious link from the homepage, which describes your website and its value to the people visiting it.I am sure it will definitely help you to increase your web design..

Micron21-Sarah
05-14-2009, 02:41 AM
www.zimplit.org take a look over it !!

Thanks for that link... looks quite promising :D

adaliabarclay
05-16-2009, 02:52 AM
I definitely like rule #1. You always have to strive to have that fresh content on your site.

Yeah Content is Always the king ... And peoples don't like to make site to just show them friends and Family members ... they make them for Whole world those are using internet ... So You have to have Fresh and interesting content on your site to attract World ...

msjone
05-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Hello,
you,r bookmark sites with designs.
studioxcess.com (http://www.studioxcess.com)

Oracle
05-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Some ideas to improve the feedback of your website

1. Improve functionality by using hyperlinks within the body of your pages.

2. Make your navigation visible and consistent.

3. Use no more than three separate font types.

4. Use a layout that is easily understood by your viewers and again be consistent.

5. Pictures are always a successful tool to capture someone's attention.

6. Remember the viewers of your website are most important. Sometimes you will have to sacrifice beauty for functionality.

8. Remember everyone's idea of beauty can be different, for commercial websites try to target a majority.

9. Unsure about a layout? It may be helpful to search other sites to get some ideas.

10. Most importantly, make the site a pleasure to visit. It will increase traffic and positive feedback.....

Colton0233
06-20-2009, 03:07 AM
Good question!!! You can improve it by studying different Materials and also by consulting the professionals. Mineeds.com is giving a good services in Web Designing all over US. Get it by posting your request and get bids from the professionals. Really i am happy to get services from them!!!

Tampa Web Designers & Programmers - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds (http://www.mineeds.com/Tampa-Florida-Services/Web-Designer-Computer-Programmer?utm_source=CommentingOnForumsBlogs&utm_medium=OnlineSites&utm_campaign=ConsumerMarketing)

Benzen David
06-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Before you improve your website you have to know what do you need right now. If you are trying to attract visitors at the first look for god sake do not use messy graphics. Because this will make it loading so slowly that people will be annoyed. All you have to do is just to make it relevant to your purpose and to flash out to the visitors.

rickygips
07-01-2009, 07:32 AM
These are really helpful information. In fact, the terms are friendly and can be understood easily. This is such a great help for anyone that needs it, just like me.

Jenie0109
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
These are really helpful information. In fact, the terms are friendly and can be understood easily. This is such a great help for anyone that needs it, just like me.

indulging yourself is good for you to understand easily :)

MumbleVoice-Jen
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks,

I was looking for some advice on how to improve my web designing skills. Thanks buddy :)!

wawunx
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
thanks for the post!

foster84
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I really like this article because it focuses on the readers. It's really important that you pay attention to your users/readers, because they are the ones who need the site's design to work well.

It also helps take some of the pressure off of yourself to design everything based on your ides.

james0123
08-25-2009, 02:55 AM
I was searching for the same solution about How to improve my web design and finally i found you through Google search :) mind blowing!.

~ServerPoint~
08-25-2009, 03:41 AM
Have checked the date of the last post?
I need to close the thread to avoid flooding