PDA

View Full Version : Raid

Jean-Luc
10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
As I'm an account manager for iWeb.com, I always try to put 2 drives in the customer server because it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo important to backup your files!

Normally company will give you a little discount on the second drive if you explain why you want to have 2 drives!

Put 2 HD in your server, request RAID-1 and enjoy!

Dimension4
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Or at least use the second drive for backups (like cPanel / WHM will do for you).

Some folks just prefer an offsite or off server backup though, we run into that ocassionally.

timihosting.com
11-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Yes and no, I suggest RAID 1.

dougeth
11-07-2007, 12:01 AM
...put 2 drives in the customer server because it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo important to backup your files!

Unfortunately, more often than not, that is a lesson that isn't learned until it is too late!

sid07
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Well in my opinion raid 1 is just a waste of resources , You can easy option but other raid options like raid 2 and raid 3 also give quite good performances too .

ASP-Hosting.ca
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Two hard drives configured in a RAID is a must for every hosting company. It is also a good idea to do external server backups daily. This might save you lots of trouble along the way...

~ServerPoint~
01-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Something interesting to read about raid
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/_common/compatibility/_education/RAID_level_compar_wp.htm

intelliracks
03-08-2008, 03:04 AM
I always try to put 2 drives in the customer server because it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo important to backup your files!

Very important thing to remember though, RAID-1 is NOT a backup solution. It is to help you in the event of a single hard drive failure to help your site/server stay running. You MUST make actual off-site backups (whether on a different machine, media, or an alternate location) to have true backups.

ASP-Hosting.ca
03-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Very important thing to remember though, RAID-1 is NOT a backup solution. It is to help you in the event of a single hard drive failure to help your site/server stay running. You MUST make actual off-site backups (whether on a different machine, media, or an alternate location) to have true backups.

You are making a good point. All my servers have 2 HDD configured in RAID array, and we also do daily server backups on a backup servers. The RAID is not substitute for backups and it will never be.