PDA

View Full Version : How frequent do you change a server?

cl2
11-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Basically I change a server once a year, even it's with the same provider. Renewing the contract sometimes mean a better deal and a newer server. :D

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Do you calculate the costs of transferring your clients over to the new server?

oanielsen
12-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I rotate servers after 24 months of service. That's about the longest I would want a drive to be spinning without worrying about failure

ASP-Hosting.ca
12-17-2004, 08:06 PM
I rotate servers after 24 months of service. That's about the longest I would want a drive to be spinning without worrying about failure

That's true, but you don't do it just to get a better deal.

absolut
01-08-2005, 06:41 PM
The server from my old company works now 3+ years. It is P4 1.8 with one IDE drive. No failure untill now, imaging this. It is a luck, but your hdd from new server can break down after 1 week of using.
I guess the best solution is not to move to new server, but have reliable hardware. E.g atleat 2 RAID drives with hot replacement, double power units, etc.

HenryWilson
06-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Is it necessary to change the server frequently?

jasmine bell
07-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Sometimes changing a server to new or an existing hosting company could be costly because you need to transfer to all your database/files and other setting like SSL etc.

jimfaster
07-22-2011, 06:03 AM
I moved once when I thought I could get more features for less money. Discovered that this was not the case. The second host was not as good as the first. I quickly moved to a third host with a length in business, reliability and quality of support in mind. they are my customer sites and they trust me to do the right thing.