PDA

View Full Version : Beginner VPS

designervision
01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Im moving to a VPS, and need to know what needs to be done?

Do I need to install Apache, PHP and MySQL, then a control panel?
Which Linux version should I go for?

Thanks,
Sam.

SiSHCO
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Control panels come with apache, php, mysql so there is no need to install them if you use control panel.

I suggest you, centos 4.5 or 5.x for vds.

synapse
01-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Sam,

Which control panel software are you going to use? The vast majority of them install all the necessary/required software during the initial install. You may want to check with them for the recommended OS.

Good luck.

egenial
01-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Are you moving to a managed VPS account? If so, setup, configuration, and maintenance of all software on your VPS such as your mail server, FTP server, and web server will have to be done by yourself manually. At least it like this with companies offering unmanaged VPS packages
A2hosting.com and EuroVPS.com.
But if you asking about it, I guess you should be after a managed deal.

~ServerPoint~
01-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Sam, as rule VPS you are offer has preinstalled all that. And you shold't worry about that more. ;)

transilvania
01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Are you moving to a managed VPS account? If so, setup, configuration, and maintenance of all software on your VPS such as your mail server, FTP server, and web server will have to be done by yourself manually. At least it like this with companies offering unmanaged VPS packages
A2hosting.com and EuroVPS.com.
But if you asking about it, I guess you should be after a managed deal.
I wonder if A2hosting.com and EuroVPS.com provide managed or unmanaged VPSs. It's important to know as they provide cheap VPS solutions, A2hosting provides them for $17 per month and EuroVPS for 14.95 euro. Any support from them?

infotech
02-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Managed and monitored VPS hosting usually starts at around $40 per month.

Andrew

mark502
02-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Do I need to install Apache, PHP and MySQL, then a control panel?
Which Linux version should I go for?

If you are new to administering your own Unix system, you probably want a control panel. The only reason not to get a control panel is if you are only hosting a few websites and you want to learn all of the setup on your own. If you get a VPS with Cpanel or DirectAdmin pre-installed, then Apache, PHP and MySQL will already be installed and setup for you.

~ServerPoint~
02-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Managed and monitored VPS hosting usually starts at around $40 per month.
Do not agree with you here. All depend on the requriments you have ;)

alemcherry
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Even unmanaged VPS comes with all required softwares pre-installed. Most hosts wont charge any set up fees either. You can just pick the OS and control panel you prefer.

ReliableServers
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Look for one with a panel, you can get cpanel on a vps which will make things easy to manage.

intelliracks
03-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Depending on the type of VPS being provided to you, you might not be able to choose much on the OS other than Linux/Windows. If it is Virtuozzo/OpenVZ then it is OS based virtualization and will only provide you with the same OS as the OS hosting the VPS'. If it is a true hypervisor VPS like Xen or VMWare, then they support a myriad of OS choices. So you might want to check with them if you have any specific version/distro requirements.

shakir
03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I saw many hosting companies have different plans with default feature like MYSQL, PHP, Aphache etc. So while u purchase just select LINUX and the control panel which u like . there will be many

Friend5
03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Go and search for a panel that you are conversant with to manage your site. Usually all the masters are choosing cPanel.

egenial
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder if A2hosting.com and EuroVPS.com provide managed or unmanaged VPSs.
Unmanaged only in A2hosting.com, managed in EuroVPS.com case.

Bobby
03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Wich one is better to use managed or unmanaged?

clint999
05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
If you are new to administering your own Unix system, you probably want a control panel. The only reason not to get a control panel is if you are only hosting a few websites and you want to learn all of the setup on your own. If you get a VPS with Cpanel or DirectAdmin pre-installed, then Apache, PHP and MySQL will already be installed and setup for you.