PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated for Video?

Malcom Owen
04-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi - I want to add lots of videos to my website. Would you recommend a dedicated server as opposed to using a service like YouTube? I am looking for nice, clear videos!

avizzlw
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I've never had a problem with the clarity of videos from Youtube.

If you host your own videos, prepare to see a large bandwidth bill.

Ahmad
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I guess this is inevitable, unless you want to get any unlimited bandwidth offers.

~ServerPoint~
04-24-2008, 07:57 AM
YouTube
I believe they have more then one dedicated servers. Several Racks at least ;)

fcolor
04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Hi Malcolm,

Do you know waht kind of video service to use? I know a good software which can be customized for video shraing.

alemcherry
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
well it depends on how you want to project yourself. Your branding, the exclusivity of your site and so on vs the cost.

bermuda
04-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Well, it depends on a lot of things. For example, the format of the video files. Are they going to be like DAT and MPEG files needed to be downloaded or can be in Adobe Flash format, having the option to be streamed, or the number of them.

The other thing is the potential number of people going to view the videos everyday so to calculate the monthly bandwidth consumed.

Alcatrazz
04-28-2008, 05:47 AM
No need to jump to dedicated at once, may try vps before, there are you Youtube vps deals from www.HostV.com.

Dimension4
06-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I would think you would certainly want a dedicated server with plenty of bandwidth, and maybe even plenty of hard drive space if you plan to have a ton of video. If you want high quality videos, the files will be larger and will take up more space and will use more ebandwidth.

transilvania
06-30-2008, 03:26 AM
I think you may start from shared web hosting with streaming media features. I know that ServerPoint.com and SimpleHelix.com provide video streaming in their shared package plans.
You will be able to change shared plan for something bigger say a VPS or dedi.

Callisto
07-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Do you mean you need file hosting? Check if a host allows this, 'cause sometimes it might be against host's rules, I think you may use a vps account, it'll definitely give you more resources than a shared. www.Microvps.com offers some of the cheapest vps deals around today.

ailin
07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I've never had a problem with the clarity of videos from Youtube.

If you host your own videos, prepare to see a large bandwidth bill.

maybe have the Unlimited bandwidth.

:D:D:D

Spotgater.com
07-09-2008, 06:54 AM
maybe have the Unlimited bandwidth.

:D:D:D

lolo Unlimited bandwidth no Unlimited bandwidth:p

bob
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I think you may require a server with FFMPEG installed.

robert25
08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I think unmetered dedicated servers will do for you. Then atleast you will not have to worry about bandwidth usage.

klimm
08-07-2008, 08:28 AM
AYKsolutions.com offers specials that can be very helpful.
They offer unmetered dedis (http://ayksolutions.com/dedicated-servers.htm) at affordable rate.
Hope you'll choose from them what you need.

HostDime-il
08-09-2008, 07:12 AM
if you are into streaming, For sure - Unmetered should you be your first consideration.
Streaming can reach very high level of traffic usage. with unmetered you won't be worried about it :)

Good Luck at your choice!

wasp
08-20-2008, 05:05 AM
The good dedis might be got from Globaltap.com - they are not very expensive and quite reliable. Do not know if they provide pre-installed streaming software, but anyway it is possible to ask them...

Ahmad
08-26-2008, 04:53 AM
The one more host providing this king of hosting with their dedicated servers is downtownhost.com. They have everything needed for optimization of ffmpeg hosting.

Callisto
09-01-2008, 04:52 AM
The one more host providing this king of hosting with their dedicated servers is downtownhost.com. They have everything needed for optimization of ffmpeg hosting.

Yes, I've got experience with downtownhost.com and may say they are quite stable and good company. They provide software needed for hosting and streaming video files. Theyr dedicated plans appear to be reasonably priced...

Have a look, it might be suitable for you.

prolimehost
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
no one can beat choopa in that

Oracle
05-20-2009, 10:23 AM
The short-but-sweet answer is that a dedicated video card will almost always be faster than an integrated video card, simply because:

Dedicated cards have more dedicated parts for processing, rather than a "1 chip" solution.

Some integrated video cards borrow RAM from the main board; as you have pointed out, this steals from the overall system memory, resulting in less memory usable for application-processing.

With a dedicated card, you can upgrade to something faster, later....