PDA

View Full Version : Disaster recovery

klimm
10-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Guys, I have noticed that not many companies that provides VPS solutions provide disaster recovery feature for their customers. But why not?
I consider that this feature is important and must be included in the VPS as one of the integral features of this services.
What do you think of that?
MicroVPS.com provides that but what else companies does it?

transilvania
10-17-2008, 04:36 AM
Guys, I have noticed that not many companies that provides VPS solutions provide disaster recovery feature for their customers. But why not?
I consider that this feature is important and must be included in the VPS as one of the integral features of this services.
What do you think of that?
MicroVPS.com provides that but what else companies does it?
I didn't know that this feature exists at all. If microVPS.com provides it for their clients, that must be a reliable company.
Do you know what technology is applied by them?

grimlins
10-23-2008, 05:12 AM
That feature from microvps.com is significant 'cause it makes the clients' business safer. I'd like to have the same feature my hosting provider offers to me.

~ServerPoint~
10-24-2008, 04:05 AM

I beleieve that is being offered by others web hosting companies by default, they just draw attention on it for marketing benefits I guess

Rizy
10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes if disaster recovery means that they are keeping backups for all vpss and if required they can restore the vps from that backup then yes most of the companies doing it by default.

Bobby
10-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Yes if disaster recovery means that they are keeping backups for all vpss and if required they can restore the vps from that backup then yes most of the companies doing it by default.
I can't agree with you here. Not many companies do it by default. Usually this feature is specified in the plans so as microvps.com does it.

MoEzzi
10-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Not all companies do it by default. Take my company for example... we offer vps plans but do not provide disaster recovery. We do give our customers an option to backup the vps's using a separate ftp service. Including disaster recovery increases the cost of the VPS and we like to try to tailor the product to all customers. Lowest cost is the priority for many customers even if that means giving up something like disaster recovery... or doing it themselves.

~ServerPoint~
10-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Not all companies do it by default.
Did you mean for free? Some companies just charge for this kind of service.

lowetec
11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Any responsible company in the virtual world will be running image level back up service on all of their machines. Having the production data running on a tier 2 storage device and the backups running on a tier 3 storage device is the most common delivery method. This is not a true DR scenario since both storage devices are located in the same Data Center.

Why most companies will not market themselves as having VPS DR solutions is that you should have your backup data stored at a different site than the production site. This means you need to have 2 or more Data Centers with a very expensive optical connection between them.

I would ask anyone offering DR for VPS if the DR site is in a different city than the production site.

Ahmad
11-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Backup everything by your own and you will not need any recoveries payments.. save your money!

msm
11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
yes making sure you are able to backup and restore data is a good DRP for a hosting company.

~ServerPoint~
11-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes you are right. But that nowadays I believe that should come wit web hosting package by default. IMO

bucasia
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Proper DR is expensive and VPSs by their very nature are aimed at the 'budget' end of the market - there's nothing wrong with that though.

I'd always recommend anyone doing their own backups rather than relying on a hosting company - whether they offer it or not. You read to many horror stories to rely on someone else totally if your data is important.

~ServerPoint~
11-20-2008, 02:36 AM
I'd always recommend anyone doing their own backups rather than relying on a hosting company - whether they offer it or not. You read to many horror stories to rely on someone else totally if your data is important.
Backups, firewall and antivirus - some things that should be done by default