PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated IP address Usage

1PlanHost
03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Just curious, with virtual server accounts why waste valuable dedicated IP addresses on each customer domain? There is some value to the serious programmer and SEO type of customer but most have no need for a dedicated IP address. IP addresses are too valuable to be assigning to each customer's domain.

Any comments? Pros and Cons?

Best Wishes for a .Net Success

Real1
03-05-2005, 07:11 PM
You be the judge...From Google own words,

Q Why in this day and age does google continue to penalize sites that are virtual hosted? With ip addresses becoming harder to get/justify every day why does google discount the relevance of links that don't come from a unique ip address. Please don't just deny it, I think the Internet community deserves an explanation.

A Craig:

I can't just deny it? What are my other choices? [:)] Actually, Google handles virtually hosted domains and their links just the same as domains on unique IP addresses. If your ISP does virtual hosting correctly, you'll never see a difference between the two cases. We do see a small percentage of ISPs every month that misconfigure their virtual hosting, which might account for this persistent misperception--thanks for giving me the chance to dispel a myth!

Link
http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/02/07/03/1352239.shtml?tid=95

Seems to me it has no bearing and many sites on our shared severs are listed fine in the search engines. ;)

The only need for dedicated IP address is for nameserver, or SSL certificates.

lostworldx
03-08-2005, 08:07 PM
It is absolutely rediculous to assign IP addresses for no reason. This contributes to the headache of subnetting. ;)

ASP-Hosting.ca
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
As far as Se are concerned, there is no difference between dedicated and shared IP usage.

beachcomber
08-07-2005, 11:30 PM
The only time an account needs a dedicated IP and/or is justified (i believe) under Arin Rules is if they have a SSL.. I have seen issues before with FP extensions and Anon FTP acess (which we no longer allow)

jkjkgolf
07-28-2011, 03:30 AM
If your ISP does virtual hosting correctly, you'll never see a difference between the two cases. We do see a small percentage of ISPs every month that misconfigure their virtual hosting, which might account for this persistent misperception--thanks for giving me the chance to dispel a myth!

mcclinks3
08-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Assigning IPs to the customers without requirement is a real waste.I don't have much info about this but thanks for sharing this info.

paullopez
08-12-2011, 11:38 AM
This depends on how good a justification customer can give. The recent trends show that web hosts hesitate to give out a bunch of dedicated IP's just for SEO. Because assigned extra Ips most probably used for a malpractices which exist, most IP's allotted for SEO gets blacklisted and / or banned users.

immediate
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Dedicated IP is essential for serious SEOs. My argument is here: http://www.kavoir.com/2009/06/web-hosting-ip-and-seo-are-you-a-slum-dog-or-are-you-a-millionaire.html