PDA

View Full Version : additional services

klimm
12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Can anybody explain to me the following: redundant a active/passive and active/active (http://globaltap.com/dedicated.html)server configurations?
Globaltap.com offers it but I don't understand perfectly well what it means.
Thanks.

sagoshawn
12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Your best bet may be to ask globaltap.com, because they may have a different meaning than another provider. Sounds like they are offering RAID 1 (actiive/passive - hard drive mirroring) - meaning that the redundancy kicks in if one of the drives fail. Also looks like they may be offering load balancing (active/active - server mirroring) - meaning that the the redundancy is alive with both servers online at the same time and the load balancer is adjusting the load between the two and if one goes down then the other is already online to handle the traffic.

NOTE: You can get both types of redundancy with most providers. Just ask.

klimm
12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Thanks for your answer.
Any other opinions?

hzSari
12-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Both setup are different methods used in clustering.

An active-passive server , the primary server provides file and application services to clients. The secondary, standby server stays passive while the primary server is in use. When the primary server shuts down, the secondary server becomes available.

Active-active servers provide the most cost-effective, high-end performance solution. All servers actively participate in processing, and all servers would have current data copied to its hard disks, every time.

~ServerPoint~
12-05-2008, 03:13 AM
I think that you need to contact them directly and ask them

grimlins
12-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Active-active configuration provides two servers that both share tasks and load. The way they share load is by using one server for one type of task and another server for another type of task, for example email is received and processed on one and web pages are served on another one.

Active-passive configuration is simpler: one server is working, another one is in stand-by mode.
That's what I have found about globaltap.com offer.
Hope it helps.

Bobby
12-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Well I believe that this offer from Globaltap.com has been made for the web masters who have specific demands, pricing is affordable.
The company is reliable in itself.

klimm
01-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Thank you for all your answers.
I have understood what globaltap.com has offered their customers, the company is dependable and has many useful features that make their running of the web site much easier.

Ahmad
02-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Globaltap.com should be a good choise, if you need the stable servers with great backing up system. However, all the useful things rised their price for hosting services.

Vec&sec
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
To my mind, their price is a bit expensive and I can assure you that you can also look at hqhost.net as it is US-based web hosting provider which is stable and offer nice web hosting plans and attractive additional services. I believe this information will be helpful for you.