PDA

View Full Version : Virus prevention and removal

ashish
03-30-2005, 04:43 AM
A virus is a piece of code that gets loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. The first known occurrence of viruses goes back to 1987 when the ARPANET was infected by one.

One common misnomer among people is that you can infect your computer just by opening an email and reading its text. That is not possible; it is usually the files attached to the email that contain the virus. The most common file types are “.SCR” “.VBS” “, ”.PIF”

Prevention is better than cure, here are some tips to make sure that your computer does not get infected.

• Get a good Anti-Virus software like Norton Anti-Virus, MacAfee, PC Cillin etc.
• Keep your anti virus software updated by downloading new virus definitions regularly. Most Anti-Virus software comes with the feature of updating virus definitions.
• Keep your windows operating system updated by regularly downloading new updates from the Internet. Windows O/S’s have a lot of security loopholes and bugs that can be easily exploited by worms and viruses.
• Make sure the anti virus scans the file each time before its opened.
• Floppy disks and removable media are a good source of viruses; always scan them before accessing files on them.
• Never open email attachments from sources that are unknown or suspicious.
• Do not open emails that have questionable subject lines.
• When in doubt about a file, don’t open it.
• Even with the best of precautions bad things can still happen. Backup all your data and important files.

Even after taking all these precautions if your computer does get infected, then here are a few things that you can do:

Online clearing tools - are a good source of trying to clean out the virus, there are many Anti-Virus websites that offer free online virus detection and removal services.

Removal tools – If you have a Anti-Virus software then you can go to the website of that software and download removal tools designed specifically for the virus. However, you must find out the name of the virus that infects your PC beforehand.

If you have a backup of all your important files, you can also consider formatting your hard disk.

~ServerPoint~
11-06-2009, 03:29 AM
I believe you need to report that one first. Actually I agree with your article

pwslinks
11-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Do you have a recommendation on how to prevent iFrame injection which attacks servers?

HostEase
11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I agree with ashish,it is a nice article.

~ServerPoint~
11-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Do you have a recommendation on how to prevent iFrame injection which attacks servers?

I believe that will be a sort of the consulting business in here ;)

lusi47
12-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Hello

Thanks ashish i found the information you post very helpful for all of us. You really doing great job.

Thanks
Have a nice time ahead.

CodyBane
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
One common misnomer among people is that you can infect your computer just by opening an email and reading its text

This was actually true "in some cases" and probably still is for emails with rich content (html, vbscripts, etc) - if your email clients preview pane is set to preview the message automatically when you click on it sometimes it was possible to get infected right there. Typically these were email worms that would immediately send themselves to everyone in your address book. They more often affected outlook and outlook express more so than other mail clients.

hostmaster
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM

prevention methods
i) keep changing cpanel passwords regularly,
ii) ask you hosting people about the security of cpanel,
iii)whenever you work with ftp, after that change passwords. So, I have tried to change my cpanel passwords in my cpanel. But it is rejecting. Earlier, my host people done these at their end. But I can't disturb them whenever I want to change the password. So, I have requested my hosting people to facilitate me to change my cpanel password in my cpanel itself.

CodyBane
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
prevention methods
iii)whenever you work with ftp, after that change passwords.

This is a pretty good idea - for those who don't know, ftp usernames and passwords are sent in plain text and can be intercepted and read by others along the way. If you have SFTP available use it. It's FTP wrapped in an SSL Certificate. So the same way it protects customers at an online store and encrypts their information it will encrypt your ftp username and password before sending them and only the server should have the key to decrypt them.

cornell
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Hello ashish,

Thanks a lot, your post is very helpful.

Regards,
Cornell.

williambell1985
05-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Really nice post. Like this :)

pamelahike1985
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
It is very much informative post. Very much helpful to us.
Thanks.......

sharonmichelle8
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks a lot for this useful post.
Its really awesome:cool:
Like this very much :D

durginchandler2
04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
This is a pretty worthy thought - for those who don't live, ftp usernames and passwords are sent in tailored schoolbook and can be intercepted and read by others along the way. If you bonk SFTP gettable use it. It's FTP enwrapped in an SSL Credentials. So the corresponding way it protects customers at an online fund and encrypts their message it gift encrypt your ftp username and secret before sending them and only the server should change the key to decrypt them.

stuartcook36
04-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Online trainer is one thing that you never thought of. It is cost effective method too and the best thing is that you can choose your own time also.

amythhomas
04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Can you please tell me the good anti virus which i can use it for my laptop? Please recommend a cheaper one which also performs well.

A virus is a piece of code that gets loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your wishes. The first known occurrence of viruses goes back to 1987 when the ARPANET was infected by one.

One common misnomer among people is that you can infect your computer just by opening an email and reading its text. That is not possible; it is usually the files attached to the email that contain the virus. The most common file types are “.SCR” “.VBS” “, ”.PIF”

Prevention is better than cure, here are some tips to make sure that your computer does not get infected.

• Get a good Anti-Virus software like Norton Anti-Virus, MacAfee, PC Cillin etc.
• Keep your anti virus software updated by downloading new virus definitions regularly. Most Anti-Virus software comes with the feature of updating virus definitions.
• Keep your windows operating system updated by regularly downloading new updates from the Internet. Windows O/S’s have a lot of security loopholes and bugs that can be easily exploited by worms and viruses.
• Make sure the anti virus scans the file each time before its opened.
• Floppy disks and removable media are a good source of viruses; always scan them before accessing files on them.
• Never open email attachments from sources that are unknown or suspicious.
• Do not open emails that have questionable subject lines.
• When in doubt about a file, don’t open it.
• Even with the best of precautions bad things can still happen. Backup all your data and important files.

Even after taking all these precautions if your computer does get infected, then here are a few things that you can do:

Online clearing tools - are a good source of trying to clean out the virus, there are many Anti-Virus websites that offer free online virus detection and removal services.

Removal tools – If you have a Anti-Virus software then you can go to the website of that software and download removal tools designed specifically for the virus. However, you must find out the name of the virus that infects your PC beforehand.

If you have a backup of all your important files, you can also consider formatting your hard disk.

antonylong74
04-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Regular website hosting and forum hosting differ slightly in the purpose of the hosting services. Traditional website hosting is geared towards hosting pages, maintaining databases and maintaining files for websites.

micahcobb89
04-27-2012, 05:03 AM
This is a worthy thought - for those who don't live, ftp usernames and passwords are sent in customized schoolbook that can be deciphered and read by others along the way. If you come across SFTP compliant then you can use it.

John karner
05-10-2012, 04:54 AM
I believe you need to review that one first. Thanks ashish,

Clydegrant
05-11-2012, 01:45 AM
What is a great method for bot prevention/removal?

Robbin051
05-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Really dude your information is correct for the web hosting line, thanks a lot.

rabia
05-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Use nod32 or bitdefender antivirus for removal of virus.And use anti malware bytes.