PDA

View Full Version : Windows or linux? What would you prefer?

rumsfo
05-21-2009, 03:17 AM
If you start resell web hosting what wkould you prefer? Windows or linux?
Why?

Robdale
05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Definitely Linux.... The advantages that Linux hosting offers in combination with other open source software like PHP and MySQL partly accounts for its popularity. Linux itself is open source and Linux hosting offers all the advantages associated with open source software. Also, the performance of Linux systems is quite good and you can get good speeds even with some of the older computers under Linux. Linux has the capability to handle a large number of simultaneous users.

Callisto
05-23-2009, 03:23 AM
I have already got accustomed to linux so that I would hardly understand how to work with windows server at once after getting it))

~ServerPoint~
05-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Linux for sure. Mostly becouse it is free. But some of the web projects require windoes so that is useful as well

rumsfo
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Definitely Linux.... The advantages that Linux hosting offers in combination with other open source software like PHP and MySQL partly accounts for its popularity. Linux itself is open source and Linux hosting offers all the advantages associated with open source software. Also, the performance of Linux systems is quite good and you can get good speeds even with some of the older computers under Linux. Linux has the capability to handle a large number of simultaneous users.
So no chance for windows? Why?

Robdale
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM
personally, i like linux and it totally depends upon the user which OS does he/she prefers. Some people think windows is more user friendly and easy to understand. What is your choice?

Bull
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I assume that Linux reseller hosting will be more profitable to start with because most of web masters order Linux. If you are interested in running your own web hosting and domain registration company, have a look at sibername.com - I am definitely sure that this link will be useful for you.

klimm
06-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Think you'd be better to start reselling from the company which provides both, for example webhostgiant.com or hostingsource.com.
Prices are not high and their plans are resourceful.
And you may change your plan any time you need it.

RH1
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Honestly - if your just starting out as a reseller and getting into things - find a smaller company. One that has been around for a while and has great one on one support. Larger companies tend to make you just a number. If you have questions, issues or just want plain help because a customer of yours needs help - you want to get it. Smaller companies that have been around longer tend to help you out more. They can assist with scripting issues, html questions and much more - when a larger company would say thats for you to deal with.

alemcherry
07-27-2009, 06:18 AM
So no chance for windows? Why?

Majority of the small websites are in PHP+MySQL and they run best on linux. In shared hosting, LAMP(Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP) is clearly the leader due to the availability of free+open applications, cheap cost of coding, cheap software(Mysql free vs MSSQL damn costly) etc.. etc.

webhostingfs
08-17-2009, 03:44 AM
Windows web hosting and Linux web hosting has its pros and cons. Windows web hosting has become requirement of those who enjoy the compatibility of Microsoft applications. Linux web hosting is an open and more secure hosting package. It supports multitasking, multi user, virtual memory etc. both types of web hosting

ihostman
10-26-2009, 12:25 AM
linux server...as it is more secured.

Samuel Dunmore
11-03-2009, 09:38 AM
I would like to go for linux because reliable, secured and performance is quite well.

Hosting India
11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Definitely linux, i will try to save the money on the OS licensing :)

XZBackup
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Certainly you can cut down on a lot of licensing costs by opting for an Open-Source software stack. In terms of bugs, performance, and issues with compatibility, you will always have problems with any platform, nothing is perfect. Both Windows and Linux have their upsides and downsides depending on your own particular experience, familiarity, and skill set -- and of course it's always good to build on your existing knowledge and try new technologies.

David Towler
11-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Definitely Linux because its free and more secured.

WHWmia
11-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Definitely Linux !!
Linux is an open source system and more cost-effective to operate and maintain than Windows.Linux also has a reputation for stability and speed.

doctorweb
11-09-2009, 06:33 AM
: q :: q :
okay
inux itself is open source and Linux hosting offers all the advantages associated with open source software. Also, the performance of Linux systems is quite good and you can get good speeds even with some of the older computers under Linux.

InternetFilter
12-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Every one prefers Linux, Yes I too prefer Linux as well. Because its free to use and more secure than windows.

rfwilliams777
12-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Low cost is linux, but you better know what you are doing and be prepared to run a windows server as well. Most cheap hosting providers offer Linux. We offer Windows based because we rarely have someone who needs MySQL/PHP hosting.

jhoncamron799
12-10-2010, 09:54 AM
I always prefer Windows because it is easy to use.

------------------------------------
USANA (http://www.usana.com/dotCom/opportunity/index)

tepid
12-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I prefer Linux over Windows. Linux is more secure than Windows plus it's fairly good at scaling.

James-A
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I prefer Linux. There are comparatively more people looking for Linux than Windows. It is cost effective and the control panel supported is easy to use too :)

carolyn
09-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Linux based hosting is the most prominent Internet hosting. This is because many of the technologies that run on Linux hosting and the operating system itself, are open source. Linux based hosting is a very low cost due to these factors. In addition, Linux web hosting scales extremely well, so your site remains easy to handle. The only downside to Linux hosting is the lack of support for most Windows-based applications and coding languages.

SSLMatrix
11-14-2011, 04:33 AM
I prefer Linux for three reason.

1) Cost.
2) Security.
3) Control.

mwaraitch
11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Both have importance, while linux is cheap and a good option for starter . newbies, while if you have .net application then surely windows hosting is the only option..

jamsen
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Linux Or Windows?

Linux is one of the more popular operating systems on the Web, mostly because it is so cheap to install and get up and running. Windows is another popular operating system for Web hosting providers because it has a lot of support.

tnhamanda
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Selection of OS like Linux or Windows is depend upon the purpose you want to use the service for and application needed for your services. Like asp.net is not provided with linux based hosting plans it is provided only with windows based hosting plans and many more.
So select the OS as per your need of applications you want to use.

omprakashkalal
11-12-2012, 02:45 AM
Anything you do on a Mac can be done on a PC with twice the power at ... of Linux with the gaming and commercial software support of Windows.

Hostwinds
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
If your services are isolated to Web Hosting, then I would have to say that Linux is the way to go. With WHM and cPanel configurations, as well as efficiency for a lower cost, there aren't many pro's for Windows other than running scripts and using applications. Which Linux is perfectly capable of as well.

B2Bexpert
11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Web hostign and Linux web hosting has its pros and cons. Windows web hosting has become requirement of those who enjoy the compatibility of Microsoft applications

Chris.Robinson
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Hello,

In my personal opinion, and experiences with both systems. I'd prefer Linux as it's more stable when running cPanel as the new cPanel that runs Windows hasn't been out as long which can cause some stability issues.

Thank you.

jamsen
12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
On the Internet there is a tremendous amount of argument over which operating system is the best for web hosting. There are anti-windows haters, there are FreeBSD fanatics and more. But which is the best? The truth is it depends on what you are doing.

konetkar500
12-20-2012, 07:47 AM
Linux web hosting and Windows web hosting are comparable, as both of them allow you to put a website online with almost no effort at all. Linux web hosting is better than Windows hosting (http://www.bigrock.in/web-hosting/windows-hosting.php)when you are looking for a simple, cheap and reliable web hosting solution. Both of them have a series of benefits and disadvantages and the decision to use any of them should be based on your specific needs as a webmaster and in any case not on the popularity of the operating system itself.

graemesmith321
02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Both the OS have certain positive and negative sides. Linux is cheaper and trustable whereas windows is much user friendly thus making it very easy for the beginners. If you are using the .net application then windows hosting is the only option you are left with.

davidmorgon12
02-18-2013, 05:07 AM
I think honestly that LINUX would be the better option for a beginner as it is easy to get and really safe from the usual risks that Windows cannot deal with.

tomm121
03-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Hi,

There are many definitions of better…..the most important one you have to consider is which one is better for you, based on what you want to do with it. Also, if you want to spend no money, linux good be better on your pocket.

Martinguptill12
03-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Are you aware that the OS for Windows and Linux might have good and bad points as seen by many of us at the current times?

rebena
03-28-2013, 05:21 AM
No Second option.I would prefer Linux because Linux programs are open source so easily customize or modify the code however they wish to and It has a large variety of software programs, utilities, and games with security options.

mikeslough6
03-29-2013, 03:16 AM
Ii would like to use Linux OS as because its fast and risk free.

nrvaghela
03-29-2013, 05:44 AM
I will go for Linux. Linux is comparatively fast as compared to Windows, but due to flexibility in use windows is more popular as compared to Linux. Try Ubuntu 12.0 you will experience good speed.

TrijitCorp
04-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Linux platform would be best and preferable since it is cheap in cost and easy to access and configure.

rfwilliams777
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
I resell Windows and the reason why is because my servers are secure. I cannot guarantee a Linux server to be secure because I am not a Linux person. and you're a fool if you are going to trust your datacenter to protect you.

ChristineRe
04-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Always prefer to choose Linux based server due to security of my web pages content over Window.

dhruvpatel
04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Linux is better than window hosting.
Virus problem in window is more.
Linux is better for open source software.
Speed is good.
Since More people are using, it is better to go with it.

zita
04-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Here, i have listed the benefits of Windows and Linux Hosting, please go through it:

Windows Hosting Benefits:

- ASP Support
- ASP.NET Support
- Powerful SQL Server Database
- Access Database Support
- PHP and MySQL Compatible
- IIS Web Server

Linux Hosting Benefits:

- PHP and MySQL Support
- Apache Web Server
- Mod Rewrite Support
- Chmod file permissions

rfwilliams777
04-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Windows can host PHP and MySQL, too. It may not be native, but I host it, too.

davidwood789
05-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Are you familiar with the aspect that Linux and Windows OS both have bad as well as good points. A majority of the users might have experienced the same.

links123
07-02-2013, 02:49 AM
It depends on your requirements. Both windows and Linux web hosting have there pros and cons. Windows web hosting is easy to use, however Linux web hosting is open source and compatible with PHP and MYSQL.

mikeslough5
07-02-2013, 05:38 AM
linux is beast for me i like linux

Andycoper
07-02-2013, 09:44 AM
The reasons I prefer Linux over Windows:

1. Security--I have no worries of Hackers, Viruses, Worms, Trojans or any other misc malicious code.

2. I am freely able to do what I want to the system. Including getting or giving away the OS or any one of the million programs available.

3. It is a better quality (my personal opinion)

4. A very helpful community (no flaming :) )

5. Open source

6. Eye Candy

rashi
07-03-2013, 01:44 AM
I would recommend you should choose the type of reseller depending on your targeted visitors if you have already. If you are starting from scratch then on you as both have pros and cons. However Windows comes to be a bit costlier compared to Linux due to licensing and management cost. But you'll find many providers offering Linux and Windows at almost same cost.

John Solis
07-10-2013, 08:18 AM
I also think using Linux is the best option as it is secure and very useful. Even for wan it is very useful.

synaptic
07-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Depends on the requirements, but linux hosting (https://nextpointhost.com/linux-vps-hosting) is more stable by default.

WebNet Host
07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Starting out for reseller hosting I would go with Linux, there is more support, cPanel/WHM is very useful and can make your business and web hosting business run very smoothly. WHMCs billing is the key as well, automate your complete billing so you can focus on your customer base.

PoolrepairLV
07-31-2013, 01:20 AM
Linux is free. So I opt for Linux!