PDA

View Full Version : win xp prof sharing directories on server in LAN

johnyjj2
07-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Hello!

SHARING DIRECTORY IN THE NETWORK.

I have got server, on which there is Windows XP Professional (I know it is not optimal choice), Apache, PHP, MySQL and so on.

What I want to do is to enable access to the disc on the server so that people can upload and download files and directories from the server. I know it is not a safe thing to share the folder on the network. But I don't have to enable access to the whole disc, I can do it only with one given directory.

I shared it in this way:
Name_of_directory -> RMB (right mouse button) -> Sharing and Security -> Sharing -> Network sharing and security: [X] Share this folder on the network, Share name: [Name_of_directory], [X] Allow network users to change my files.

The other thing was to change name of the server:
My Computer -> RMB -> Properties -> General -> I changed name to "hpserwer".

I enter "Start -> Search" on my laptop (not on remote desktop but on my laptop when I am connected to local network of the company). I choose "Find other elements -> Computers" and write "hpserwer". The result is "no founds". What should I do?

Greetings!

bnyc
09-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Great tutorial johnyjj2. Thanks for sharing.

johnyjj2
09-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Hello :)

Oryginally, it wasn't tutorial but question :). I expected my method to work (because I used it previously and it worked properly) but in my case it didn't work and it surprised me - as I've written there were no founds.

I solved it in somehow different way - I opened Start -> Run -> \\192.168.1.3\.

To set the password I tried: Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Remote control of computer -> Users and local groups -> Users -> Guest (RMB) -> Set Password. Unfortunately - I can access this resource on server in this way (Run -> \\192.168.1.3\ -> pasword but the other person inside this local network cannot. It doesn't ask him for any password or login and it shows: "Login error. Unknown username or password". (Not in English - that's my translation :)). And I still don't know how to solve this problem.

Greetings!

rumsfo
09-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Where is your directy\ory hosted? Is that on the home server or where?

johnyjj2
09-14-2009, 04:19 AM
It is inside the company on its own Hewlett Packard server. There is one server and all of the users have got direct wireless connection to the network inside the company.
Greetings:)!

~ServerPoint~
09-16-2009, 04:36 AM
It is inside the company on its own Hewlett Packard server. There is one server and all of the users have got direct wireless connection to the network inside the company.
Greetings:)!

Can you please explain here what did you mean?

johnyjj2
09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
In the office of the company there are laptops connected to the wireless network inside this company.
http://images47.fotosik.pl/199/5b731106eb567e1f.jpg

Greetings!

Timothy8797
11-12-2010, 05:00 AM
File sharing making the content of one or more directories available through the network. All Windows systems have standard devices making its easy to share the content of a directory. However, file sharing may lead to security problems since, by definition, it gives other users access to the content of a part of the hard drive.