PDA

View Full Version : VPS vs. Semi Dedicated

rapidfinancial
06-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Hi,

So I'm new to the forum obviously. Normally I'm on Web Hosting Talk (WTH) when I research hosters, but after 2 years of being away & now being bullied on there & the mod saying it was just a disagreement, I can see the forum has changed & they don't protect their members, so I'm hoping this forum is different & I can get educated answers plus FINALLY find my new hoster.

So I read the other thread in this area that asked what is virtual hosting. I'm not sure if he was asking what VPS means, but if he was, then I got it now. The Google definition doesn't say all of that, it talks about being able to use any software you want.

What I don't understand is the difference between VPS & semi dedicated. I only started learning about semi dedicated the other day.

I'm a loyal customer not to mention it's hard for me to switch from hoster to hoster when you have so many sites & e-mail addys, so I've been avoiding moving from my current hoster for 6 years, but this last bout of stress that's gone on for a month b/c of my time being wasted since their tech support is CLUELESS, has convinced me I have to move.

I'm on a reseller account with them (my first) & prior to that I was with another hoster for 5-6 years & they were (I think) a colo-cation host. They didn't use CPanel, they had their own backend.

My budget is on the low side, but based on the prices I see, I guess I've been paying a lot more & I'm not sure why. I know part of it is b/c I also have 6 dedicated IPs on top of the one that comes with the account.

The IPs were to keep the types of sites I have separated from one another if someone wanted to do a search & see all my sites. Now someone on WHT told me there's another way to avoid that from happening, so if that really DOES work, I won't need the IPs anymore which would be GREAT :)

The only reason I would be looking into semi dedicated is b/c when I FINALLY move over to Magento (it's a big move obviously), I know that a shared host won't work. I'm not even sure a VPS would work which is why I'm asking.

Unless the VPS is within my price range & of course managed, I'd have to stick with a Reseller account, but I want to be able to move up to VPS or semi dedicated when the time comes & not have to change hosters again.

Sorry for the long post, I figure it's best to give more information.

Oh & one last question, are hosters allowed to contact me here or via PM, or do I have to contact them like on WHT?

Thanks a ton :)

mani ge3e
06-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Whether to choose VPS Hosting or Semi Dedicated Hosting depends upon what are you planning to host/run on the server. Our Semi Dedicated Hosting servers fill the gap between VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting. So if you need more resources than a Virtual Private Server but aren’t quite ready to upgrade to a dedicated server yet, eUKhost’s Semi Dedicated Server is the answer for you

Peligino
06-24-2016, 01:49 AM
Semi-dedicated server is a big shared hosting account. I know that Warez-host.com (http://www.Warez-host.com/) is a good host. You can look their semi-dedicated servers and VPS hosting plans. IT will be a good idea to contact them directly, tell your requirements and their team of professionals will help you to choose the right hosting solution for your needs. Hope it will help.

rapidfinancial
06-25-2016, 04:28 AM
Whether to choose VPS Hosting or Semi Dedicated Hosting depends upon what are you planning to host/run on the server. Our Semi Dedicated Hosting servers fill the gap between VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting. So if you need more resources than a Virtual Private Server but aren’t quite ready to upgrade to a dedicated server yet, eUKhost’s Semi Dedicated Server is the answer for you

k, thanks. I need US servers.

HaBangNet
06-26-2016, 02:33 PM
semi-dedicated and standard vps make no much different, only difference is the resource.

rapidfinancial
06-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Semi-dedicated server is a big shared hosting account. I know that Warez-host.com (http://www.Warez-host.com/) is a good host. You can look their semi-dedicated servers and VPS hosting plans. IT will be a good idea to contact them directly, tell your requirements and their team of professionals will help you to choose the right hosting solution for your needs. Hope it will help.

Unfortunately they don't have US servers.

Thanks

Rose kim
07-04-2016, 01:59 AM
Semi-dedicated server is nothing but servers with some limited resources at less price. here server will not be highly configured. It is almost similar to VPS. Check out Scopehosts (https://www.scopehosts.com) Server Plans at low price.

gexacor
07-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Unless the VPS is within my price range & of course managed, I'd have to stick with a Reseller account, but I want to be able to move up to VPS or semi dedicated when the time comes & not have to change hosters again.
Sorry for the long post, I figure it's best to give more information.
Oh & one last question, are hosters allowed to contact me here or via PM, or do I have to contact them like on WHT?
Thanks a ton :)

I'm not sure what are you mean by 'semi-dedicated hosting'
VPS is a virtual private server and dedicated server is dedicated server. You need to figure out what your hoster mean by 'semi-dedicated' first.

If you have about 6 websites you can stick at VPS and be happy I believe.
How much visitors per hour at all websites do you have by the way?

wasp
07-12-2016, 02:25 AM
Semi dedicated server is something related to the big, but still shared hosting account. I would recommend you to check VPS instead of semi dedicated if you are looking for some sense of being dedicated. I recommend you to check such providers as hostwinds.com or hostingsource.com.

manoharparakh
06-11-2021, 02:13 AM
Semi-dedicated server is a great way how to host a website which requires nothing special except a lot of resources. To run a website on a semi-dedicated server you do not need to care about the software installation or upgrades. Everything is done by administrators. You will probably even not notice any difference between semi-dedicated server and shared web hosting. Your resource-heavy website can be managed in the same way as shared hosting clients manage their websites -- you get the access to the control panel where you can easily create emails, FTP accounts, databases, etc.

VPS is nearly just like a dedicated server. the most difference is that the resources of the server like CPU, RAM, storage are going to be split between different virtual servers. For a far better understanding, you'll see a VPS as an apartment that's shared with other roommates. You can choose a VPS once you want to start out small without making big investments. A VPS offers more flexibility than a fanatical server in terms of upgrading or downgrading to a different plan.