PDA

View Full Version : What qualities do you look for in a webhost?

Naeem|THB
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm interested to see what people look for when searching for a web host, there's the basics like
-Data center
-Response times etc

But what other features & Qualities do you look for?
Regards,

WebEdit
08-02-2005, 01:11 AM
I think reputation is extremely important. If you are going for a low-cost shared hosting plan then besides space, bandwidth, and cost the only thing that matters is customer service. The company's reputation will tell you all about that.

You should take a look at what technologies they support and make sure the plan you want is compatable. For example, the most basic hosting plan may not offer .NET but the next service level up the ladder may be too expensive.

If you're looking for dedicated hosting I think reputation/professional customer service is still the most important. Technologies will probably be even more important to you then too.

I think for me, the control panel is pretty huge too. If I can get to everything from one page and do everything I need to do easily it's really great but if the panel is inconvenient and there is no documentation then it makes things frustrating. I NEVER want to ever have to talk to support so if a good panel and documentation help me achieve that then I'm happy.

Speaking of support, having a 24-7 online chat support is very nice.

Check out this article on choosing a web host. http://hostsearch.com/article18.asp

Ludite
08-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Quite frankly guys, what I am really looking for from a web host is someone who will take me by the hand and guide me through it. For those of you who didn't see my last post, I am 44 and never really touched a computer before. I have got through the domain name maze (I think!) but the whole web hosting thing is confusing. I look at packages and they say things like I have to 'Point a DNS' - what does that mean? I am sure it's me who is retarded but I am also sure a number of hosts have numerous customers in the same boat as me. I need a step-by-step guide - what a DNS is, what it's for, and how you point it (1, do this 2, do that 3, ....). For instance, I have no real idea what what size package I need. Either I AM really stupid or everything I see seems to couched in terms that might mean something to someone who has done everything before. I mean, it would really be great to just call someone, tell them what I think the site will be like, and them tell me which package I need and why. Sorry - it sounds like I am whining ... actually, forget that ... I am not sorry at all!

Ludite :confused:

Naeem|THB
08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Ludite,
Most hosts will be able to do that if you go ahead and contact them, You can learn from forums like this, You can post specifc quesions and you will get them answered, Dont be ashamed to ask, There is no such thing as a stupid questions about web hosting, There is millions of people just like you.
Regards,

sibertest
08-04-2005, 04:35 AM
As far as I learn from my past experiences, the most important thing is the customer support for a good hosting. The web space, bandwidth and all other technical stuff comes after. Most of the resellers provide apporximately the same technical backgrounds but the customer support that makes different ;)

Naeem|THB
08-04-2005, 08:58 AM
As far as I learn from my past experiences, the most important thing is the customer support for a good hosting. The web space, bandwidth and all other technical stuff comes after. Most of the resellers provide apporximately the same technical backgrounds but the customer support that makes different ;)
Customer Support, Should be the top priority for everyone in the business, Without it your know where, "You get what you pay for" and customer support is one of them, You pay peanuts you get 48 hour replies.
Regards,