PDA

View Full Version : How do I know?

Ded E. Kate
08-09-2005, 01:05 AM
How do I know if I need a Dedicated Server or a Managed Server? Does anyone have a check list I could use (this many ticks you need Dedicated, this many you need Managed, etc.)?

Ded E. Kate

NS-Icon
08-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Generally if you are not technically knowledged and don’t know how to manage the server, such as security updates, configuration of Apache or IIS web server and such then you would usually opt for a managed server where the hosting provider staff carry out these aspects for you.

Dedicated / Managed servers are usually chosen over shared / reseller if you have a custom script which cannot operate on a shared hosting environment as you don’t have sufficient level of access to the server or if you have a very high amount of bandwidth / disk space or server resources.

I am sure other members will provide you with some additional insight too :)

ASP-Hosting.ca
09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
How do I know if I need a Dedicated Server or a Managed Server?

If you don't know the answer of this question then you need fully managed server :).

ayksolutions
09-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Lol, I agree wtih ASP. Besides, at places like ServerMatrix, Managed Server plans are standard. They are very useful, even if you are tech savvy. I'd take a fully managed server (as long as you get all the accesses) any day over one that is not. Why wouldn't you?

guru-host
09-26-2005, 10:51 AM
If you do not host other sites and you are not despered for a cpanel, plesk or any of these commercial control panels then you can find a managed solution much easier by using for example an excellent open source control panel named VHCS (vhcs.net). We've been running this for 2 years now with not even one issue.

On the other hand we had several problems with many of these commercial control panels.

ASP-Hosting.ca
10-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Lol, I agree wtih ASP. Besides, at places like ServerMatrix, Managed Server plans are standard. They are very useful, even if you are tech savvy. I'd take a fully managed server (as long as you get all the accesses) any day over one that is not. Why wouldn't you?

Keep in mind that the managed services ServerMatrix provides are very limited.

Hippohost
10-31-2005, 02:58 PM
I would try to make some check list:

1. Am I busy enough manage my hosting service (Website / clients / support)?
- If yes, then managed server is better, otherwise you need to have another job.
2. Do I have depth understanding about linux and setting up a server, how to update software and do server management?
- If yes, then unmanaged server is okay for you, since managed you need to pay more.

I can't think anything more at the moment. But I would say, go and hire a company/person to manage your server. There are some that offer like $20 /month for full server management.

ASP-Hosting.ca
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I can't think anything more at the moment. But I would say, go and hire a company/person to manage your server. There are some that offer like $20 /month for full server management.

I've never seen a company offering $20/month dedicated server management. What is the name of this company?

NetManimal
11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
I do not offer managed dedicated server services. However I would recommend HostGator.com if you are looking for a managed server. Although their prices are high, support is always available, always free, and they fully manage your server.

ASP-Hosting.ca
11-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I do not offer managed dedicated server services. However I would recommend HostGator.com if you are looking for a managed server. Although their prices are high, support is always available, always free, and they fully manage your server.

What OS and control panels do they offer?

Aayushi
08-27-2022, 02:44 AM
A dedicated server (https://www.accuwebhosting.com/dedicated-servers) is designed to be used only by one organization. However, you can use it for Mission-Critical Applications to improve reliability and uptime, Video Conferencing & Streaming, handle high-volume website traffic, and secure sensitive data.

Managed server is a server that your hosting providers manage. Your hosting provider manages the server's maintenance, updates, and security. They also provide support if you have any problems.