PDA

View Full Version : Tips to get a good deal on a Dedicated Server

dchman
08-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Last week I was searching for a dedicated server. I have been to a few web sites. I visited ev1servers.net, sagonet.com, serverbeach.com and servermatrix.com. All of them have an online chat session.

Here are my experiences from the chat sessions.

Ev1servers.net was not friendly and only answered what I asked with no suggestion. The answers were short and sounded like “buy it or not buy it, I didn’t care”

Sagonet.com was helpful but the guy just shut down the session while we were talking. The whole chat sessions had no one for the rest of the day and the day after. Not sure why they didn’t keep it open during business hours.

ServerBeach.com was the most friendly and most helpful. The sales persons are well-trained.

ServerMatrix.com was also helpful. They know what potential buyers want.

While searching and talking with them I found that ServerBeach and ServerMatrix were able to offer me special prices that were not listed on their website.

At ServerBeach they have
* AMD Athlon 2200 Processor
* 1GB Memory
* 1 x 80 GB Hard Drive
* 2000 GB Bandwidth
Pricing options on their website:
$149.00/ $0 Setup
$139.00/ $59 Setup
After talking with them, I was offered $139.00 with $0 setup fee for this server.

At Servermatrix.com they have
* Intel Pentium 4 – 2.4Ghz
* 1024 MB Ram
* 80GB ATA 100 7200 RPM HDD
* 1200 GB Bandwidth
Pricing options on their website:
$129 Monthly / $99 Setup
$139 Monthly / $49 Setup
$149 Monthly / $0 Setup
After talking with them, I was offered $119 monthly with $0 setup fee for this server.

My tips to get a special deal -

You may open up a chat session and shoot them with a question like "Do you offer something special at the moment?" but if that does not work try this...

** I'm your potential customer for today. **
Chat with them and show your serious intention in buying a server from them. Make them aware that you're a potential buyer.

** You're not my only choice. **
Tell them that you're comparing their services with another competitor and you were offered a very competitive price. Show them your hesitation in going with one another.

** Spend time and efforts with me **
Ask sales rep. series of questions and make them spend time and effort with you. After spending 10+ minutes with you, they will not want to loose you.

This is what I learned and want to share with you. These techniques seem to be very general to any purchasing though. They also worked for me when shopping for a dedicated web host. :)

WebEdit2
08-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Thank you dchman...

This sort of first hand experience is invaluable.

Has anyone else had any experience of these companies? Does this experience confirm what dchman had to say?

WedEdit2

1PlanHost
08-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks dchman for the excellent and informative post! Many host will indeed make special offers if they know you are serious and intend on making a purchase quickly.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

NetManimal
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Very helpful information to anyone looking to purchase a server from a provider. I know if someone did that to me, I would give them a good deal right away.

IceBlueHost
11-23-2005, 04:37 AM
That was very informative, thank you very much for your input!

It just shows that you have to shop around and ask. It nevers hurts to ask :-)

ASP-Hosting.ca
11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I can recommend both EV1 and ServerMatrix. Their support is excellent.

Johnny Bravo
12-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Are you guys talking about self managed or fully managed Dedicateds? I know some companies offer much better monthly rates for dedicateds they don't have to manage. Only problem is you have to know what your doing!

Raider
12-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Servermatrix is self managed, unless you want to pay more.

ASP-Hosting.ca
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Servermatrix is self managed, unless you want to pay more.

That's true, and even if you pay for managed services, do not expect too much...