PDA

View Full Version : MySQL

Technically Challenged
08-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Hello

Fresh on the forum today. I would like to offer unlimited MySQL databases but I would need to restrict space and bandwidth they use. Is this possible or does MySQL need to grow forever?!!!

Techy

ElCaballo
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Most unlimited offers work like this: You pay on a sliding scale. It's unlimited only in that you never get cut off but if you use over a certain amount you pay progressively more. How do you plan on measuring bandwidth for MySQL use anyway?

If you offer unlimited space and you get more customers than you have space for you have to buy more hard disks and servers. This is a good problem to have however. Too many customers using too much of your service means you have a lot of money coming in. Just make sure your business plan accounts for this so that you can afford to expand if you need to.

NS-Icon
08-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Don’t you think by stating unlimited MySQL is a little misleading? I mean you are planning on offering an unlimited service yet are requesting on how the service can be capped and restricted.

By the sounds of the restriction it no longer appears to be an unlimited service, why not just provide MySQL database hosting solutions and provide a fixed / variable fee as the client starts using additional resources.

I feel if you continue to use the phrase unlimited in your service eventually those folks who have been misled will brand your host as a fake, just like plenty of hosts who stated unlimited bandwidth / disk space, everyone knows this does not exist.

Technically Challenged
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Tahir

Trying to avoid that which is why I am on this board asking, hopefully, the right questions. I certainly got good answers anyway!

Techy

1PlanHost
08-25-2005, 11:07 AM
ElCaballo is correct in asking how do you plan on measuring bandwidth for MySQL? This usually does not show up in most bandwidth monitoring software so you may have a very tough time. I would recommend avoiding a business plan that calls for unlimited features for anything that you are not prepared to truly make unlimited.

There seems to be a resurgence of host that offer "unlimited bandwidth" when we all know there is no such thing and it will come back and bite you in the end. Several years ago it was a popular marketing tactic and some host did well with it. That is until the anti-unlimited community called for ethical hosting and truth in advertising. There were even web sites set up to blacklist (shame) these host publicly and eventually the formerly popular marketing tactic became a taboo in the industry.

Just be sure you are truly prepared to deliver on what you promise. Customer expectations for "unlimited" mean just that - UNLIMITED and many will abuse it and demand it from you if you put it out there. While you may get a few more signups, what type of customer will they be? Will they have 50 - 100+ MySql databases on your server eating up server resources, slowing it down, using the databases as spam resources and demanding more and more for pennies?

It is very important in the flooded hosting market to differentiate your company from your competitors. Competing on price and features is in my opinion not a good business plan unless you just happen to have tons of money to waste building your base at a loss. Find something NEW and FRESH and promote the heck out of it and you will succeed.

Best Wishes for a .Net Success!

ASP-Hosting.ca
09-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Be careful if you plan to offer anything "unlimited".

Bluesky94
11-02-2016, 05:12 AM
MySQL is an open-source relational database management system (RDBMS). Its name is a combination of "My", the name of co-founder Michael Widenius' daughter, and "SQL", the abbreviation for Structured Query Language. The MySQL development project has made its source code available under the terms of the GNU General Public License, as well as under a variety of proprietary agreements. MySQL was owned and sponsored by a single for-profit firm, the Swedish company MySQL AB, now owned by Oracle Corporation. For proprietary use, several paid editions are available, and offer additional functionality.
MySQL is a central component of the LAMP open-source web application software stack (and other "AMP" stacks). LAMP is an acronym for "Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python". Applications that use the MySQL database include: TYPO3, MODx, Joomla, WordPress, phpBB, MyBB, and Drupal. MySQL is also used in many high-profile, large-scale websites, including Google (though not for searches), Facebook,Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube.

bidaddy
05-08-2017, 02:53 AM
MySQL ? can you write clearly ?