What is the average cost of a dedicated server?

I want to set up a website for my small business, basically not expecting too much traffic but the general consensus has been against shared servers. I need to get an idea of the cost of having a dedicated server? Including upfront costs and monthly fee.

Registered User 24x7servermanag's Avatar
    It is totally depend on configuration you needed. The required RAM, hard disk, memory, OS which you will install, the licence which you are going to install on your dedicated server. There is monthly charge too if you will have the support service for your dedicated server from your hosting provider.
    Server Management Company
    India's Leading Managed Service Provider | Skype: techs24x7
    Cpanel Technical Discussions - Lets talk !

Dedicated Server costs vary greatly. Anywhere from ~$50/mo to ~$1,500/mo with the average being around $150-$200/mo.

It all depends on what resources you need, and how reliable you want it to be.

The first thing you need to consider is how much CPU, RAM, Drive space, Bandwidth you need and if you need a unmanaged or managed server. This will let you know what to look for and you can start shopping around.
    The next thing you need to consider is how reliable you need it to be. There are several places where you can find servers for cheap. However, there are downfalls to this as well. Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"! Many of the budget server providers provide services for cheap because they cut corners on their network and/or support.

dedicated server cost is they depend on your server configurations.

It depends on your needs and the performance you require. A good provider will charge around 50 USD/month.
    Get your Emails verified by ZeroBounce
    ZeroBounce - Validate your E-mails
    The best email verification service

Quote Originally Posted by rohit View Post
    I want to set up a website for my small business, basically not expecting too much traffic but the general consensus has been against shared servers. I need to get an idea of the cost of having a dedicated server? Including upfront costs and monthly fee.
    If not too much of traffic for your website then better go with either business hosting or VPS hosting instead Dedicated servers. As dedicated servers are expensive and not ideal choice of website with not so heavy workload and traffic.

The cost can vary a lot, and it also depends on how it's done.

If you host the servers "in house," then you're responsible for buying and maintaining the machines. That means hardware, backbone connections, bandwidth, support team, repair costs, electricity, etc.

There's also the matter of having multiple connections to internet providers (we're talking backbone providers like Level 3 and Cogent, not last-mile providers like Comcast or Time Warner) in case one of them goes out or a line gets cut. Backup power in case of public power loss. And multiple physical locations around the globe to host local servers so everyone can play with a reasonable ping.

Then there's the option of paying someone else to manage all of that and just rent a group of servers from various locations.

I rent a cheap server from a colocation facility (~USD$66/month, paid annually), and I can host three maybe four copies of a Killing Floor server on it. Depending on how a game and server is made, a single machine could host many more.

Thus, renting a quality server costs a thousand a year or more, depending on the quality of the server. And usually has a "startup cost" because they have to buy the hardware and don't want you renting it for one month and dropping it, sticking them with the hardware cost.

The first thing you have to do is look beyond the initial costs of an in-house solution vs. the monthly cost of the cloud.

Hello Rohit,

It's a good idea to start with VPS hosting, as they are neither cheaper like shared hosting nor costly like dedicated servers.Also, you have easy upgrade options when your website traffic increases.

Now coming to your question, Dedicated server prices depend as per the configuration you choose.It is similar to assemble desktop computer at home.The low cost dedicated servers ranges $50 to $100 per month.

I would recommend Accuwebhosting's low cost dedicated servers as they offer the latest hardware and satisfactory customer service.
    AccuWebHosting - The best and most reliable web hosting provider
    VPS Hosting

Adding a dedicated server to your business is not a simple matter. The hardware, software and administration costs can quickly get out of hand if you don't have a solid plan in place and a budget that accurately accounts for each of these areas. This is one reason many businesses that can't get past the initial "sticker shock" of a dedicated server look at virtual servers as an alternative.

Virtual servers are servers that are hosted online and managed by a hosting company. The ongoing costs associated with hosted servers are not exactly inexpensive either, but that's a topic for another time.