What is 2 step verification?

Hi guys,
    Please Let me know what is 2 step verification? I've seen it when I was login my Gmail Account and it redirect to me a a page that was saying me to setup 2 step verification for my gmail account or to skip. I chick the skip button as i don't know about 2 step verification and how it's beneficial for me?

Verification feature 2-step to increase the security of your gmail, when you enable this feature, every time you sign in gmail, there will be a message sent to your phone a code and you use that code to login on gmail, very safe.
    Or you make available 10 code, memorize it and every time you login gmail, you'll use it, one code use one time.

When you enable 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication), you add an extra layer of security to your account. You sign in with something you know (your password) and something you have (a code sent to your phone).

It's designed to prevent anyone from accessing or using your account, even if they know your password. It's achieved simply by adding second requirement to your account as the others guys said.

maybe it asks you to verify by phone

Two-step verification (or two-factor authentication) is a free tool that adds an extra layer of security to Uniregistry accounts. If you enable two-step verification, you’ll use both your regular account password and a single-use token – created on your smartphone – to log in. Because these tokens expire after 30 seconds, your credentials are much harder to guess or steal.

With 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication), you add an extra layer of security to your account in case your password is stolen. After you set up 2-Step Verification, you'll sign in to your account in two steps using: Something you know, like your password. Something you have, like your phone.

Two-step verification is a process that involves two authentication methods performed one after the other to verify that someone or something requesting access is who or what they are declared to be.

Two-factor authentication works as an extra step in the process, a second security layer, that will reconfirm your identity. Its purpose is to make attackers' life harder and reduce fraud risks.

Two-step verification is a process that involves two authentication methods performed one after the other to verify that someone or something requesting access is who or what they are declared to be.

dear friend,
    when you stronger security for your Google Account. With 2-Step Verification, you'll protect your account with your password and your phone.

With 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication), you add an extra layer of security to your account in case your password is stolen. After you set up 2-Step Verification, you'll sign in to your account in two steps using: Something you know, like your password. Something you have, like your phone.

Strong security for Google Account With 2-Step Verification, you'll protect your account with both your password and your phone.