Why the obsession with guest posting?

I've been link building for a while and focus on content + outreach. I've lost count of all the potential clients and even agencies who I approach that just ask what sites I've got straight away for guest posts. I'm not against guest posting but it gets me down how many people put all their eggs in that basket. One thing, it's so saturated that I think Google are just going to start either penalising sites who offer too many guest posts or use them.

It's also not taking into account that if it's really good content, there's a chance of the content itself gaining links. Why would you want this good content to be on someone else's site?

Building links through content and outreach is not difficult and it's the only real way to protect your site from future algorithm changes.

Get Your Name Known
    Drive Targeted Traffic to Your Blog
    Network with Other Bloggers in Your Niche

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagicislam View Post
    I've been link building for a while and focus on content + outreach. I've lost count of all the potential clients and even agencies who I approach that just ask what sites I've got straight away for guest posts. I'm not against guest posting but it gets me down how many people put all their eggs in that basket. One thing, it's so saturated that I think Google are just going to start either penalising sites who offer too many guest posts or use them.

It's also not taking into account that if it's really good content, there's a chance of the content itself gaining links. Why would you want this good content to be on someone else's site?

Building links through content and outreach is not difficult and it's the only real way to protect your site from future algorithm changes.
    Do you really relate Guest Posts with "putting eggs in same basket" - No, it is not so. You should worry only if you are getting paid links and not from free guest posts as it is going to be discovered by the search engine some day and then the tables will turn.

People are obsessed with guest posting because its the easiest way to get quality links for free. And as links are counted as ranking factor which not to mention isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It's an easy way to get links and also puts your content in front of other people's audiences, potentially gaining customers for you.

One of the issues is people playing tricks with the clients. There are a lot of SEO companies that come and go. Maybe, clients these days refer a few articles, ask questions on forums on SEO methods and try to dictate it to the SEO guys. They can't be blamed considering all those tricks that being played on innocent people who hire SEO companies