Setting up private nameservers

Hello, I have been looking for an answer to this and was not able to find one since all of them stated that you needed extra IPs. I've done this before and just forgot how to do it, but finally remember. Without further adeu..

For this we will assume that your domain is www.mydomain.com.

Also keep in mind that while you are a reseller, you can only go so far with completing these tasks.

If you are a dedicated server customer, then you can do all of the necessary steps listed below to properly set up private nameservers for your customers and not use any extra IPs.

Let's get started.

1. Login to your registrar panel (Godaddy, Enom, etc..)
    2. Select the domain you want to use and find where you can 'Register New DNS'.
    3. Put in ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com in the respective fields.
    4. Put in the IP addresses (either yours or the ones provided to you by your host).
    5. Hit the save/submit button.
    NOTE: If you are a regular reseller, the rest is done by your host on their end, so notify them that you have done your part. If you run a dedicated server, read on.
    6. Login to your WHM panel as 'root'.
    7. Go to 'Reseller Center', select 'mydomain.com', click on the 'Edit Domains/Privilages' icon.
    8. When the page loads, scroll down and put in the new nameservers, in this case ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.
    9 Save them and scroll down to 'DNS Function' and select 'Edit DNS Zone'.
    10. You will notice that the new nameservers are now located in the top 2 text fields. Scroll all the way down to where it says 'Add new A entries'.
    11. In the first text field put in the nameserver and in the second empty text field put in the IP address. So, it will look something like this:
    ns1.mydomain.com 14400 IN A 1.1.1.1
    ns2.mydomain.com 14400 IN A 1.1.1.2
    12. Click Save and you are done!

Please remember that it may take some time for DNS to propogate.

Also, make sure to use IP addresses that you received from your host/data center.

If I missed something please feel free to comment. I'm pretty sure this is how you do it.
    Last edited by ayksolutions; 09-23-2005 at 11:12 AM.
    AYKsolutions.com
    Hosting & Web Design
    Professional. Painless. Polite.
    Visit our Forum & FAQ .

NS-Icon

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ayksolutions

Also keep in mind that while you are a reseller, you can only go so far with completing these tasks, some of them requires our services, which we will happily provide.
    Great detailed post, but please don’t self advertise your services at the same time. If you would like to advertise, you can do so by submitting a post in the
    'Web Hosting Offers' section of the forum.

Oops, sorry guys, I will edit. I posted this on our forums and completely forgot to take that part out. Did not mean to.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    AYKsolutions.com
    Hosting & Web Design
    Professional. Painless. Polite.
    Visit our Forum & FAQ .

NS-Icon

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ayksolutions
    Oops, sorry guys, I will edit. I posted this on our forums and completely forgot to take that part out. Did not mean to.

Thanks for pointing it out.
    Not a problem