webhosthorrors.com?

I'm sure this isn't just my idea, but I'll throw it out there and see what everyone thinks.

I was thinking today of all the 'horror' hosting stories I have read over the time on all the popular hosting forums. So, why not make a all in one, inclusive horror hosting stories site?

I'm pretty sure if you give it a good marketing campaign, simply by advertising on these forums, the site will become a hit. You'll be able to rent out ad space, run promotions, etc... This site will be set up just like any directory, except for having hosts sign up and post their plans, customers will sign up and post their experiences, mostly negative I'd assume, about their host. Viewers will be able to view all the posts alphabetically. The code can be changed to have the host's company name to be the header for easier viewing. I wont get into any coding details, but it can be done.

Of course, being in the hosting business myself, I instantly see a huge flaw in this plan. There are too many people who bash companies and have no idea what they are talking about. There could also be comptetitors who will use this site to sign up, pretend to be a customer and just post bad reviews.

Well, the first deterrent against such action is to have the signee include their current shared IPs of the host and their website url, so you can have a script automatically check to see whether or not the 2 ips are in the same block. If they are, the person can post about that company, if not, then they cannot. Due to this, this site will not have users, you will have to 're-sign' up for each host you have, and you will be allowed to post only a limited amount of new threads about each host you are currently with. This will prevent the spammers from posting too much.

Of course, the hosts will have a voice as well. As I noted above, there are too many people who do not know what they are talking about when posting their issues/mishaps, thus there should be another side to this story. The way I think this should work is, force the angry client to include the general support/sales email of the host in question and send an automatic email to them notifying them of the complaint with a link that they can use to directly view the thread. There, they can use the "guest" feature and will already have their company name as their username inserted. Thus, they can reply to the issue.

Each thread will only be writeable to the host and the client. The host will be only able to post by using the link received in the notification. To prevent the link from being redistributed, it can 'expire' after a certain amount of time, and another one will be resent that will just point to the real address.

I've honestly brushed this whole idea aside as it will be too hard to monitor, and will take up a lot of resources to truly have an accurate site that regulates all of its posts. Once again, the whole client knowledge and maturity levels come into play here. I have seen, on more than one occasion, that the host is childish themselves and is extremely rude.

The whole point of this will be to have a good sized database of 'live' interactions between a host and a client. It will show the true nature of the company and how it handles itself in the spotlight.

Sorry for the long email, and if there is already a site or a post about this, then kudos to them. Just wanted to see what everyone thought. I'll post this on different forums so don't be surprised if you see it somewhere else.

Hope to get some responses.
    AYKsolutions.com
    Hosting & Web Design
    Professional. Painless. Polite.
    Visit our Forum & FAQ .

That's actually not a bad idea at all!
    I don't know if something like this already exists, but if it does, I haven't come across it yet.

I think it would definitely be a great idea for all those people out there who don't know much about hosting and who would like to share their "mistakes" with others.

Naturally, as you pointed out, there has to be some kind of safeguard against those who are only out to bring certain hots down.

But apart from that, I think it's a very good idea!

Anyone who feels like giving that a go?
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | Master Reseller
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in US, UK and Germany
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Thanks for the reply.

I posted it on WHT and got a few replies there. I think it may be a good idea, but you really need a lot of resources to go into this. I think a popular forum should do an off-shoot from their main one. That way the staff can manually verify the validity of atleast a part of the posts while a script does the rest.
    AYKsolutions.com
    Hosting & Web Design
    Professional. Painless. Polite.
    Visit our Forum & FAQ .

You will definitely need a lot of resources, yes. And also a lot of patience until it really gets started.

But as I said, overall the idea is good, I'm sure it would help many people who are new to hosting to stay clear of the bad hosts.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | Master Reseller
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in US, UK and Germany
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions