VPS, what all do i need to check?

I am thinking of getting a VPS, what all should I need while getting one.

I got a doubt how does a VPS work, how do i point a domain name to that vps, will i have to setup a name server for it....

Before getting any VPS hosting solution, you need to be 100% sure in reliability of the host you are going to deal with.
    You can always contact the host directly, see how fast they respond and how knowledgeable and helpful they are.
    As for recommendation, can recommend managed VPS deals offered by rightservers.com - many of my clients are happy using their service.
    Do you want to gamble? Here is ==>> ONLINE POKER

From my point of view you should have to check the security, control panel which you will get with your VPS provider, up-time guarantee etc. of your VPS.

I suppose that it will be reasonable to try narrowing your list of options by looking at the cheapest web host package that can meet your needs at the same time.