Basic question re: dedicated hosting

Hi all,

While dreaming of the future filled with grand armored trucks of cash, it occurred to me that I may need a dedicated server if I ever hit that point

That raised what is sure to be a very basic question:

When you have a dedicated server at a host (like Hostgator) is it up to me to do security patches, kernel updates, etc. or is that something the company I'm paying the (rather large) monthly fee to will do? Basically, the "everyday" sysadmin type stuff I'm wondering about.

I figured that a co-lo server would be up to me whereas a dedicated server provided by a host would handle all of that for me, but I'm unsure.

Thanks!

Too depend is you take a dedicated server with management included. If yes, the provider will do all updates on your server for you.
    If not or not included, you have to do it by yourself or paid an extra to your provider to do it for you.
    Colo-Serv Communications inc.
    Registered Trademark in Canada
    Virtual Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation Service | DDoS Protection
    https://colo-serv.net

Hi,
    I'd like to add 2 cents here..
    if you are going to colocate your servers, the located between Data Center of the company and your servers should be very close to each other.
    Suggest you to contact the host's support you are planning to deal with and ask them to explain you this.

Try to contact with the hosting master to get more information on this issue!
    My name is Linda Chow, I am running a small online clothing store where you can find and shop sweet Lolita dress, Gothic Lolita dress and many other lolita accessories | My New Store: Cheap Latex Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by cobbieffo View Post
    When you have a dedicated server at a host (like Hostgator) is it up to me to do security patches, kernel updates, etc. or is that something the company I'm paying the (rather large) monthly fee to will do? Basically, the "everyday" sysadmin type stuff I'm wondering about.
    Thanks!
    If you opt for a Fully Managed Dedicated server, then the hosting provider will take care of all those things. Fully Managed Dedicated server means that the Hosting provider will manage the server for you and also provide 24X7 Technical support. He will take care of all the sever side issues or security patches or updates. If you have any issues with your server, you just need to contact the hosting provider and the support staff will get the issue sorted for you. There are many other hosting providers in UK who offer Fully Managed Hosting plans with 24X7 FREE Technical support.

Registered User GardnerBulkeley's Avatar
    You won't have to look after the server security patches, kernel updates, etc. if you opt for a fully managed dedicated server. Fully managed server generally includes:
    Initial Server Setup, Initial Server Setup, Disaster recovery planning and procedures including system and file backup, Server backup restoration in the event of a hardware failure, Server troubleshooting, Regular maintenance of the operating system (updates & patches) etc, so basically the company takes care of the server.

A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting in which the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone. This is more flexible than shared hosting, as organizations have full control over the server(s), including choice of operating system, hardware, etc.

re

Managed hosting sprang up as an additional option for companies with a strong enough online presence to require a dedicated server. With managed hosting, most of the server administration is handled by the web host rather than the company that owns the dedicated server. The service has been described as “a glorified dedicated server armed with extended features and support.” As with a dedicated server, you get your choice of operating system, routing equipment, network connectivity and complete administrative control.

Dedicated servers are big and used to host large business websites which require a lot of space and bandwidth for better performance. In dedicated server whole server resources are reserved for single website or account. IT provides your more control over server, it is secure and reliable than other hosting servers.