Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reverse DNS?

Reverse DNS (rDNS) is a method of resolving an IP address into a domain name, just as the domain name system (DNS) resolves domain names into associated IP addresses. One of the applications of reverse DNS is as a spam filter. Here's how it works: Typically, a spammer uses an invalid IP address, one that doesn't match the domain name. A reverse DNS lookup program inputs IP addresses of incoming messages to a DNS database. If no valid name is found to match the IP address, the server blocks that message.
    Asia Affordable Web Hosting Provider

hi

Quote Originally Posted by noblenik View Post
    This site does a reverse DNS lookup of an IP address by searching domain name registry and registrar tables. IP addresses are four numbers in the range of 0 to 255 separated by periods.
    yes you are right i agreed .

Not yet cleared about it , still confused , i think better i google for this.

There are tons of dns providers out there. Most guys I know use Google's - 8.8.8.8

Hello All,

Why would you need a Reverse DNS set up for your DNS server? While it is not as necessary to have a Reverse DNS configured for your domain name as it is to configure a Forward DNS, you will get a better guarantee that everything is working hassle free online with a Reverse DNS set up for your host.

Reverse DNS (RDNS) determines what hostname is associated with an IP address. RDNS record is updated on the name servers of the service provider. The provider can either setup PTR records for you (or) incase you have your own name servers they delegate the entire IP block to your name servers.

RDNS is a good method to determine a hostname.

I completely agree with all of you guys, this is really great stuff for me.

Sorry guys, I don't have any idea about this topic but good to know about your views.

This site performs a reverse DNS lookup of an IP address by searching domain name registry and registrar tables. IP addresses are four numbers in the range of 0 to 255 separated by periods.

In other uses, reverse DNS can be used to determine the real upstream of a reseller as well, thus many providers block reverse dns lookups for their resellers.

Reverse DNS is IP address to domain name mapping - the opposite of forward (normal) DNS which maps domain names to IP addresses.

Reverse DNS is separate from forward DNS.
    Forward DNS for "abc.com" pointing to IP address "1.2.3.4", does not necessarily mean that reverse DNS for IP "1.2.3.4" also points to "abc.com".

Now a days one of the main purpose of having reverse RDS is spam filtering
    ServerPoint.com, hosting thousands of customers since 1998
    Dedicated Server Hosting - Cloud VPS Hosting - Web Hosting
    Las Vegas / Silicon Valley / Dallas / Ashburn / Amsterdam / Singapore

In case you didn't know, rDNS is implemented by having a zone made up from the IP backwards at the domain 'in-addr.arpa'.

So for example if your IP was 10.1.2.3 (which it wouldn't be because that is a private IP range) the zone would be:

3.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa

Reverse DNS (rDNS) is IP address to domain name mapping - the opposite of forward (normal) DNS which maps domain names to IP addresses. One of the applications of reverse DNS is as a spam filter. It is mostly used for tracking where a web-site visitor came from, or where an e-mail message originated.
    Domainsatcost.com
    Everything you need to be present online.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast