inexpensive managed server

Managed Servers

I would like to get people's opinions on getting an inexpensive dedicated server and outsourcing support to one of these hosting support companies versus getting a managed server.

Thanks,

If you're technically well and good to manage your dedicated server then there must not be a problem in outsourcing support. It may save your time a lot to focus upon your business. But do take a great care in choosing upon an outsourced support.

I think for number of servers its better to outsource the support otherwise in case of one or two servers its good to have managed servers.

Hi,
    Maintaining an in house technical team is an expensive affair and
    brings in enormous responsibilities. These responsibilities will take lot of
    time of yours in maintaining these services at an optimum level. That
    also means having sleepless nights thinking of ways to bring optimum
    level of balance between support and cost towards maintaining the
    technical team of expensive system admin(s).
    silvermoon

Having a managed server really means having a servers hardware & software managed by the same people.

It is possible to outsource software administration but in the end it will just be them working with your data center support.
    Zogmo : chown us -R ./base
    ICQ – 198549058 : AIM – zogmodave
    dlanning@zogmo.com
    1-800-509-2729 ext. 2111

I would recommend you to go for managed server in case if you don't know a lot about servers.If you take a non managed server and get support from outside, make sure they know and are able to troubleshoot about your OS and everything you are using on the server.

If and when my sites grow enough I'll get fully managed dedicated server.

Getting a unmanaged and outsourcing the support may prove to be cheaper. You cna get a dedicated server from godaddy and outsource support. That would be cheaper than say, a liquidweb or a lot cheaper than a rackspace.
    Looking for Cloud Hosting? Get some MediaTemple Coupons
    Shared Hosting? Get some MyHosting Promo Code Or Hostmonster Coupon