Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HosTechS
    But how come still it is number 1 hosting company in reveiws.
    A) they SAY they're #1 - doesn't mean they ARE.

B) they ARE near the top only because they flood the market with ADS. internet business is different than normal commerce. If Levi's makes a bad product, the word is everywhere and EVERYBODY stops buying Levi's.

when a company like IPower provides bad service and product, word cannot get to their potential customer base in the same fashion, so they continue to sell and RELY on the unknowing customer - the market is 1000 times bigger than that of Levis' or Kroger or Amoco - and growing, so really a company who doesn't give a damn still can't lose. for every unhappy customer there's a new one coming along not knowing any better.

the ONLY way word gets around in this arena is by forums like this, customers like you and i who care about our peers and don't want OTHERS to be crapped on by IPower.

for those morons who defend IPower by saying "i hear good and bad reviews of them, nothing serious", i say "19% approval rating by CONSUMERS (the people who really know) >>> http://www.webhostingunleashed.com/reviews/ipowerweb-reviews.htm"

to which the morons have little defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    Most likely a paid slot. Anyone can "buy" a number one slot in the host directories.

BINGO - and Thomas Gorny is more than willing to do this.

Never use IPOWERWEB

NEVER USE IPOWERWEB

I signed up with Ipowerweb in 2002, it was pretty good at that time, I don't have much problem on their host, however from this year their service is awful, they upgraded their server and control panel from "cpanel" to "vdeck", as I am an old customer, my website is hosted on cpanel, this admin panel has lots of problems and broken links since they use vdeck, I contacted them many times but every time except saying " I do apologize..." they did nothing. On August 18, 2006 their server was hacked by "turkish..." it's about one week I cannot receive/send email, after that email works occasionally, I cannot stand for it, and moved to another host service.

Also terrible "money back"--- on their website it states "unconditional money back with 30 days", I have a new website launched this August, I signed up with them for 30 days trial, however after experiencing server hack and bad service, I decided to cancal my account and request refund within one month, however I didn't receive refund so far(one month passed), and my account is still alive. I contacted them serveral times everytime the reply is "I do apologize...your account will be closed soon" but nobody takes care of it.

It was pretty a good host but now it's so bad, at least customer service, I have been with them for 4 years but now no longer trust them.

DO NOT GO WITH THEM!!!

email jleblang@ipower.com - she seems to be the only person accessible who really gives a shit - she'll hopefully get you through to the right person.

guy named Jerry is a supervisor at Tech Support. try HARD to get through to him. get your money back and steer clear of IPower. and tell everyone else the same thing.

more and more people reporting about ipowerweb. Look like they are really giving their clients a hard time.

All the best, glenn & mic.
    Joseph
    MXHUB.COM since 2001, UK & US based Hosting
    cPanel Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Shoutcast Hosting - Dedicated Servers

I had used them before, definatley not up to par. Their support is lacking heavily.
    Andrew Halligan - Co Founder
    http://NearlyFreeHosting.com - Easy for you, tough for the competition.

I know that iPower have very active affiliate program, that's why they have great ad exposure. As some of the guys here have learnt, big ad exposure is not always equal to quality service...

STAY AWAY FROM IPOWERWEB! I just lost my entire website, that was scheduled to launch today...because ipowerweb's servers crashed last Thursday, and they were unable to recover any lost data. Meanwhile their story is that I should have been making my own backups, even though they advertise "offsite tape backups" and redundancy and mirrored content at different Network Operations Centers and I was never advised I needed to do my own backups.

They offer Daily tape backups in their package description, but then do not want to take any responsibility for lost data and can't recover anything.

I was never told to do my own backups, and even their sales rep didn't know backups were not being done. Then I was told backups WERE being done, but on the SAME server but on a different drive and both drives failed.

Their only response to the situation has been...sorry for the inconvenience!! Meanwhile I have lost 8 months worth of work on my business website and have to start over now.

Their offer of compensation was 6 months of free hosting (worth about $300) and then they offered me a year...as if I EVER want to do business with them? They are criminally misrepresenting themselves and they are falsely advertising...BEWARE! Do not host with them! They think nothing of a client having to reconfigure a server midstream and lose business...

I have also experienced the long hold times (20-30 minutes each time) plus conflicting information from their technical support. Not to mention rude tech reps who disconnect during a chat, and no one ever seems to know what is going on.

It is a disaster. If you value your clients and/or your business, do yourself a favor and stay away. I have just switched to Rackspace, who comes highly recommended and I have confirmed they do nightly tape backups.

NS-Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Axillon View Post
    I have almost registered with Ipowerweb but Im glad I have decided to go with http://spacetitan.com
    How have you managed to decide to host with yourself? You have the hosting provider listed in your signature as well, what domain do you host? And you do realise that forum rules state no self advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by Axillon View Post
    I have almost registered with Ipowerweb but Im glad I have decided to go with http://spacetitan.com
    This is self advertising. Definitely not allowed here.
    Joseph
    MXHUB.COM since 2001, UK & US based Hosting
    cPanel Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Shoutcast Hosting - Dedicated Servers

Startlogic IS IPower Web - AVOID StartLogic, ALSO

"new" webhost company, Startlogic, IS IPower Web - same POOR Cust Service. AVOID them, AS WELL!

Apparantly Thomas Gorny has seen the need to disguise his operation with another name as it's LIKELY that the name IPOWER is beginning to get the negative attention it so richly deserves.

How in the world did they get to be #1?

I have had an i-power VPS for 8 months, and it has been a problem the whole time. Downtime is averaging about 30 hours a month. Here are some specifics:

-- I usually have one day out of the month that the server is down. Today, they claimed a momentary power outage at the data center shut down all servers. It has so far been 7 hours, and my server is not back on yet.

-- They claimed that my server crashed a month ago, and all data was lost. Luckily, I keep all of my customers' sites on my computer. I am still not finished rebuilding everyone's sites, and I have had 6 outages since the "crash".

-- On the rebuilt server, PHP was configured incorrectly, rendering it useless. They continue to maintain that it is configured correctly even though I have shown them where the problem lies.

-- I transferred two domain names to i-power. On one domain, they changed the nameservers and did not get me the information to administer the domain until 5 weeks after the fact. They are being billed for that customer's hosting for that month.

-- I have been on hold with i-power for as long as 90 minutes (and the tech support guy insisted that I had only been on hold for 15 minutes). Conversations with their tech support representatives show that they have minimal knowledge.

Do not do business with i-power.

maybe they have too much clients

They have lots of clients, but this doesn't mean anything. There are big hosting companies with bad service and there are big hosting companies with good service...

Ipower

From what i researched IPOWER, Startlogic and Dot5 are all owned by Mr. Gorny and their live chats and most tech emails are answered by two companies in India. Dont expect any help when you call techsupport they are actually called Telesales now. If you want to double check yourself look at the Arin record when you do a whois search, and you will see the same name for all 3 hosting companies. Oh and Btw dont order a ded serv unless you want to wait 3 weeks or so as a friend of mine tried to have his setup before Thanksgiving and is still waiitng.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast