Could use some help.. VPS or Dedicated

Hello everyone,

I've been doing some research through this forum and it seems like an excellent resource for what I'm getting into.

I own a web development company but have never offered hosting to my clients. I'm partnered with a marketing company who I've developed several sites for. I've mentioned to them that I'm interested in purchasing my own server to offer hosting and he's agreed to move all of his sites to my server once I'm up and running. It's not a lot, but he's got maybe 10 sites or so that should cover the cost of a cheap server.

Originally I was thinking of a $50 VPS option and move his sites to that, but the low RAM in most packages has worried me. His sites are currently hosted on a windows server and are developed in ASP. It's important my new server supports several languages as my own sites are built in PHP.

It's very important I have a control panel that's easy to use as I'm new to this. I've used plesk & cpanel in the past for my own sites and I find Plesk to be the better of the two for my needs as its more straight forward.

I've never run my own server before so I'm entering new grounds and would just like some reassurance before I begin.

Should I be buying a VPS or a Dedicated server? It needs to support ASP & PHP. It will be running about 10 sites from the get go and possibly another 10 over the next 6 months. I will not be offering hosting to the public only for my web development clients.

Any guidance is appreciated,

Thanks,
    Jason

NS-Icon
    Hi there im glad you find HS a fantastic resource; it has helped many users in the past and helped them make countless decisions on hosting providers and particular services.

With regards to your question, a dedicated and VPS solution are both options which are available on the table for you, however, 20 websites, or even 50 websites can be easily handled through a reseller account as well, ensure you don’t rule this out. However, a dedicated / VPS will provide you with your own account and resources as apposed to a reseller account, all of them will be able to suit your needs if you select a hosting provider which is able to accommodate your various programming language needs.

I know fasthosts.co.uk provide windows and Linux based hosting solutions, but unfortunately am not too sure if they provided dedicated or VPS solutions, this you will need to check up on.

HostNexus.com provide very reliable managed dedicated servers which may be of interest to you should you wish to go down this route.

Best of luck with your search.

Unregistered
    Thank you very much for the quick response. I originally tried a reseller account but I just happened to pick a horrible provider. I registered this morning and I'm already in the process of cancelling the account (www.m6.net).

It sounds like it's just what I need, but what a brutal control panel (That kept kicking me out randomly after logging in), horrible support which never once picked up the phone or returned email and the product just felt cheap. I couldn't figure out where to go for created new packages or anything so I think it's bye bye to them.

That's why I'm thinking a VPS running Windows is definitly my best bet to support both ASP (vbscript) and PHP.

I guess I'll keep on digging through the forum here and look up the better rated hosting companies around.

Cheers!
    Gov

NS-Icon
    Yes, that is a shame when you can’t find a reliable provider. If a reseller account was ok for your needs, and the host just let you down, I would consider aiming down this route again and attempt to locate a more reliable provider. At the end of the day, if you end up with a poor host, then the chances of having a poor service are there in any service you decide to choose, reseller hosting, dedicated or even VPS.

Best of luck with your search

yes, VPS would be good choice if you dont have many high traffic sites. Make sure that you get atlest 512 mb assured RAM. If your sites are going to have more traffic and use more resource, a dedicated server would be ideal.

For a dedvelopemnt co. hosting is not the ideal way to make money, it mostly helps in customer stickiness and give you the flexibility to make tailor made solutions. Make sure that you don't see hosting as an easy money making tool. The money is very less compared to the development costs, so if I were in your place, I wouldn't have compromised on the server.
    Looking for Cloud Hosting? Get some MediaTemple Coupons
    Shared Hosting? Get some MyHosting Promo Code Or Hostmonster Coupon

Quote Originally Posted by alemcherry
    yes, VPS would be good choice if you dont have many high traffic sites. Make sure that you get atlest 512 mb assured RAM. If your sites are going to have more traffic and use more resource, a dedicated server would be ideal.

For a dedvelopemnt co. hosting is not the ideal way to make money, it mostly helps in customer stickiness and give you the flexibility to make tailor made solutions. Make sure that you don't see hosting as an easy money making tool. The money is very less compared to the development costs, so if I were in your place, I wouldn't have compromised on the server.

Thanks, this is definitly not for making money - it's soley to help bind the relationship between my company and my partners. I want control over what happens to my clients sites and I'm tired of 3rd parties giving me BS.

I have a lot to learn though and will likely take atleast a month before I'm comfortable with transfering any client work over. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of reading and a lot of posting here over the next few weeks lol.

Thanks
    Jason

I wouldn't bother with VPS. Getting dedicated server is much better, but you need somebody to manage it.