Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colocation

Colocation

hi...

please you tell me about Colocation?

Co-Location hosting is different from normal Shared, VPS or Dedicated server hosting. In all these hosting plans, the server hardware belongs to the hosting provider, you just rent some space or entire server by paying the applicable charges. You are not the owner of the server, you are just renting it. In Co-Location services, you own the server hardware and you keep server in some datacenter or with some hosting provider. Here you just need to pay the Rack charges, Power charges and Bandwidth charges. You are the owner of the server in Co-Location hosting.

thank you James-A for your answer about co-location.i also didn't know any thing about about the topic Co-location.and know i know it because of your answer.

Collocation is moving or placing things together, sometimes implying a proper order. On the Internet, Collocation or colocation or co-location means the provisioning of space for a customer's telecommunications equipment on the service provider's premises. For example, a Web site owner could place the site's own computer servers on the premises of the Internet service provider (ISP). Or an Internet service provider could place its network routers on the premises of the company offering switching services with other ISPs. The co-location facilities offer the customer a secure place to physically house their hardware and equipment as opposed to locating it in their offices or warehouse where the potential for fire, theft, or vandalism is much greater. Most co-location facilities offer high-security, including cameras, fire detection and extinguishing devices, multiple connection feeds, filtered power, backup power generators and other items to ensure high-availability which is mandatory for all Web-based, virtual businesses.

For more information, see:
    http://www.myrealdata.com/workgroup-server.html

The colocation facilities are primarily used where dedicated servers are placed. Colocation service providers allow their clients to put all their server related stuff including high tech telecommunication equipments in separate cages or racks at their data center. Colocation service offers you the security, reliability and speed for your server. Colocation services give you full control over your server. The Data centre collocation in India is well equipped with the world class infrastructure, backup systems, independent secure networks that helps to keep your server secure.

I did not have the knowledge about the Colocation but reading this topic now I can know something about the colcation. Thanks for discussing this topic and providing useful information.

Colocation

Colocating the server gives you the greatest flexibility. You get to choose the hardware configuration of the server and the software that goes on it. The hosting company maintains the connection to the Internet and deals with environmental details such as uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs), fire controls, and air conditioning.

thanks james-A u give a wonderful definition for colocation

A colocation centre or colocation center (also spelled co-location, colo, or coloc), is a type of data centre where equipment space and bandwidth are available for rental to retail customers. Colocation facilities provide space, power, cooling, and physical security for the server, storage, and networking equipment of other firms—and connect them to a variety of telecommunications and network service providers—with a minimum of cost and complexity.

Colocation allows you to place your server in a rack in our data center and share our bandwidth as your own.
    Asia Affordable Web Hosting Provider

Really nice and informative thread , i didn't have knowledge about this before.

It generally costs more than standard Web hosting, but less than a comparable amount of bandwidth into your place of business.

Colocation services are mostly provided by data center service providers where you can rent rackspace and host your hardware and the service provider let you use the dc infrastructure for your hardware.

It is a type of hosting service where a provider: a) Leases data center space (footprints, server enclosures) and provides power, cooling and data center services (without networking service) ; b) Offers a everything listed in (a) plus network services line Internet connectivity (BGP, etc.) to clients that bring their own equipment (servers, appliances, switches and/or routers). When a telecommunication facility or data center, allows its tenants to build their own connectivity and to have their own upstreams, this is "carrier-neutral" colocation.
    HostColor.com
    Cloud ServersDedicated Hosting
    Data Centers in U.S. and Europe - in business since 2000

Colocation

How much does colocation usually cost? I know it depends on how many hardware do I put but how much is the BW usually per unit? Give me some pointers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast