Linking your own sites together, good or bad?

I've seen many people state that link exchanges are actually bad in terms of SEO. However, I've been doing my own research and can't find anything official on that topic. Several "SEO experts" that I have come across state that it will hurt your site because often times you're linking to irrelevant content or sites with horrible existing ratings.

Its depend which site you exchange links with .
    If you exchange links with those site which it related, and the link do bring you lot of unique traffics then it actually help you lot in SEO.
    If the links is exchange in a site where the topic , keywords and content is different with your site and din't give you any unique traffics and high bounce rate. Then it will become worst to your site.

It becomes more of an issue if, for example, a health site links to 20 different sites that have nothing to do with health....and then all of those completely unrelated sites are linked back to the health one as well. It makes it very, very obvious that those aren't natural links, mean nothing, and search engines know not to give them any weight.

This is the most important thing. Also, you the comments are given so wonderfully. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information.Please update it more often as I find it very professional and informative for your visitors

two way link exchange is harmful as far i read. But you can do three way link exchange to avoid any issue.

three way link exchange example is that. A, B and C

put link of A URL to B website, B URL to C website and C URL to A website.