UK Reseller Newbie

Hi I'm setting up as I web designer and want to be a hosting reseller to my clients. I've looked at a few reseller packages but I can't decide which one would be best for someone just starting out.

This one looks good - www.dynamichosts.co.uk - but it seems far too cheap! What's the catch? I've seen others such as heart internet costing £300 +

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike.

NS-Icon
    Hi Mike,

Interesting, how did you hear about this company? They have no page rank indicating it’s fairly new, and secondly, it was only setup last year June so has not been running for very long. I would also think twice with regards to reseller plans which have unlimited specifications as this can lead to problems down the line, and I would most likely expect some issues to occur with new companies such as the one you have outlined.

Lets hope this is not self advertising / spamming as unfortunately, it tends to be the owners of hosting companies like the one you have outlined which tend to spam on popular forums as a quick method of marketing, making a profit and then disappearing with the clients money.

Overall recommendation, think twice about this company, and especially the unlimited plans outlined on their website, other than that, best of luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by topmonkey View Post
    Hi I'm setting up as I web designer and want to be a hosting reseller to my clients. I've looked at a few reseller packages but I can't decide which one would be best for someone just starting out.
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Hi Mike,
    My advice would be to research about 5 companies and then send some pre-sales emails to them. You have to keep in mind your upstream is really very important as this (most likely) is who you will look to for support. If reseller plan pricing is just rock bottom, MY advice is to think twice. Everything your upstream does will in turn....affect you AND your clients.

Still looking

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I was suspicious of the aforementioned cheap hosting site! Which is why I asked for advice! you confirmed my suspicions.
    Basically I'm looking for that rare balance between affordability vs reliability! Obviously my budget as a start up company is low, but I want my clients to come back to me because I have a reliable service - and that includes hosting!

Anybody got any recommendations for reliable hosting companies that don't cost the earth? Btw I'm primarily looking at UK hosting.

Thanks,
    Mike.

On their site...
    "Unlimited Bandwidth
    Unlimited Storage Of Data"

Yeah, right.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by topmonkey View Post

This one looks good - www.dynamichosts.co.uk - but it seems far too cheap! What's the catch? I've seen others such as heart internet costing £300 +

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike.
    I would suggest always doing a look up like this one:

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois...OIS+Submit.y=0

It will help you establish how big the company is, how long they have been in business and if the have business premises etc.

Regards

JJ - A1isp

Contact.
    Nothing can substitute for honest communication and a little good sense.

If a package seems too good to be true, usually it is.

Contact sales, ask questions. Call them. Speak to a human.

Being new does not preclude a quality experience.
    We are quite new, but have a lot of business experience and investment behind us.

We have been in your shoes, and are well aware of the needs of someone starting out.
    Highland Communications
    Shared | Reseller | Managed VPS | Dedicated | Colocation
    Toll Free 1-877-87 LINUX

I use this link for checking out any potential change of provider :
    http://whois.domaintools.com

In this case, they would appear to be a reseller for Soft Layer
    http://whois.domaintools.com/dynamichosts.co.uk

If you are in the UK, then take into account that this server is in the US, so expect occasional slow page loads and caching issues

Ironically, Heart Internet also offer "unlimited storage and bandwith" as part of their reseller package
    What they really mean is that when the limit of storage is reached they add a new server, then rebalance
    There is a bandwidth limit, but its more to prevent abuse
    Last edited by m8internet; 04-08-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    m8internet.com
    UK-based website hosting from £1.00 per year

m8internet, I believe he get all his problems solved That is quite old thread.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

Apologies, looks like I dug up an old fossil!
    That's what you get for signing up and reading each and every post for the next hour!
    m8internet.com
    UK-based website hosting from £1.00 per year