All server domains navigating to one website...

As you can guess by the title I have a problem. I am quite new to the whole domain set-up etc, but I will try my best to explain.

Previously I had always hosted my websites with companies that administer the servers etc.. However I have now have purchased a dedicated windows server, which obviously I have to administer myself. I created my website fine (HTML/ASP.net stuff I mean), and created the domain and ftp on the server. However I have now come across a problem, the company that I purchase the server from has there own html/asp etc. front end on the web that allows me to purchase domains and point them to my dedicated server. I currenly have 3 domains 'www.ticodi.com', 'www.wokinghampub.co.uk' and 'www.wokighamclubs.co.uk' at the moment I am not using the wokingham domains. I am however using the ticodi domain, and this is the domain I have set-up on my server. Now comes the problem that no matter which domain you enter in your browser it shows my ticodi website.

I really do not understand what I have done or need to do, as I have only set-up one domain on my server I assumed the others would not affect it, could someone please help???

All domains DNS are pointing to my server.

Thanks in advance

Simon

NS-Icon
    Hi Simon,

It sounds as though your server does not have virtual hosting correctly setup. Virtual Hosting allows you to setup more than one domain name on your server, i assume your issue is related to this, or it could be that DNS is also not setup correctly on your server to allow you to host the additional domains you need.

I don't suppose you are able to expand a bit on your reply as I am new to the whole set-up etc an explanation would be really appreshiated and also if you know of a link that would help on explaining in more detail (I am currently googling at the moment)

Thanks in advance

Simon

NS-Icon
    Hi Simon,

I believe now that you are operating your own dedicated server you understand how to create domain names. I am not too sure of your exact setup so am assuming you have direct root access to the server, if this is the case, you may be using IIS as you outlined you also utilise ASP, you need to ensure that in IIS all your domain names are listed so that when someone visits your other domain IIS knows which web pages to serve for which site.

I would also check your DNS server and ensure that all the settings outlined their are also correct. Unfortunately I am unable to offer you specific support as I am unsure of your exact setup.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help, I think you have hit the nail on the head, I have not added the other domains to IIS of the domains that have the DNS pointing to my server. Therefore I can just assume that IIS must be redirecting the other domains to any website.

I will go through and create the other domains on IIS, and hopefully that will sort it.

Thanks for you help

Simon

Just a point. If you are nontechnical person managing the dedicated server, it is better if you have a good control panel. Since you are using a windows server, you will probably have troubles settingup email accounts, DNS etc. if possible get plesk installed on your server. That must make the management pretty easy.
    Looking for Cloud Hosting? Get some MediaTemple Coupons
    Shared Hosting? Get some MyHosting Promo Code Or Hostmonster Coupon