Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The future of dedicated servers?

What do you guys think is the future of the dedicated servers market? It seems like more and more people purchase VPS' instead of dedicated servers... In some cases this is just a small step leading to a dedicated server, but others just stick with the VPS.

I never really understood the advantages of a VPS anyways... Mind to share some thoughts?
    RadixHosting - Professional shared and reseller web hosting solutions
    www.radixhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by RadixHosting View Post
    What do you guys think is the future of the dedicated servers market? It seems like more and more people purchase VPS' instead of dedicated servers... In some cases this is just a small step leading to a dedicated server, but others just stick with the VPS.

I never really understood the advantages of a VPS anyways... Mind to share some thoughts?
    I don't think that VPs will fully replace dedicated servers. There will always be people looking for their own physical machine, versus having VPS...

I think Dedicated Servers are here to stay. Although isolated, with a VPS you are basically sharing the resources of a single dedicated server between all of the VPSs hosted on it. Also the resources are limited in a VPS as compared to a Dedicated server so for those who need more resources will definitely opt for or upgrade to a dedicated.
    Cloud Hosting 100% Uptime on VMware/Hyper-V Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com

Quote Originally Posted by eukhost View Post
    I think Dedicated Servers are here to stay. Although isolated, with a VPS you are basically sharing the resources of a single dedicated server between all of the VPSs hosted on it. Also the resources are limited in a VPS as compared to a Dedicated server so for those who need more resources will definitely opt for or upgrade to a dedicated.

Yes this is correct. There is a natural progression of resource requirements in hosting. Starting with shared hosting, VPS, then on to dedicated servers and capping at clusters. As a websites popularity grows it will inevitably require more CPU/RAM/Disk. Along with increased popularity comes the increased desire for the ever elusive 100% uptime which is only realistic with clusters.
    Les F.
    * JaguarPC.com
    * Quality web hosting since '98
    Call 800-558-5869 or Email sales@jaguarpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by LesJPC View Post
    There is a natural progression of resource requirements in hosting.
    I coudn't agree more. Today's customers expect more web space, more monthly data transfer and more features for less money. I see hosts offering shared hosting plans with 100s of GB space and 1000s of GB transfer per month. It's kind of sad...

At least at first sight it's reselling sector that grows at the fastest rate, things are not the same with dedicated services, but with more and more projects getting online every year and growth of the general level of server administration skills, dedicated services will be in demand.

I believe there are different motives for choosing a virtual server instead of a dedicated server, including:

1) Lower price
    2) No need for the dedicated resources
    3) A lot of extra management & backup options
    Especially option number three is interesting i think. When people can rent a server that they can reboot, reinstall, backup, restore and much more via a web interface, it gives them a better level of security and reliability.
    A market gaining option is the virtual dedicated server where the client gets an entire dedicated system, but the actual server is running as a VPS on the server to give the client all the extra management/backup features.

Anyway, i agree dedicated servers are here to stay and that some clients use a VPS as a starting point and then later on upgrade to a dedicated server. No doubt about that.

Glorified Shared Hosting

Depending on where you go, VPS hosting is much like shared hosting. Just slightly more features, less restrictions, etc. But as brought out, one of the biggest downsides to a VPS is sharing the machines resources with someone else. This actually leads to more problems than people think it would. For instance...

People choose the VPS route once they've outgrown the shared hosting platform. Many of the people upgrading should actually be moving to a dedicated server. But for fear, price constraints, or other reasons they choose not to. This causes problems for other on the VPS box. It's not hard, if your maxing out your shared hosting's potential, to do the same with a VPS. As its often glorified Shared Hosting. Making everyone else on that box suffer because your site is hogging resources.

This is just one problem that arises. As long as there is the internet Dedicated servers will be a must have. Also there are simply some things you cannot do unless you have a dedicated server. Maybe only a few things, but for people like myself, dedicated servers are an absolute must have. (obviously small sites, personal blogs, and the like don't require such hardware)

From studying hosting packages offered by a number of companies (random choice), I can figure out that VPS isn't really popular, as the majority of hosts offer shared-reseller-dedicated plans.

I think VPS is a good option for the person not completely ready for the dedicated server, but not really just wanting a reseller cpanel account or something. I think dedicated servers are here to stay, but as we all know they are getting more and more powerful and the market is FULL of people selling them, so its getting to the point where companies have to be creative to find a niche in the market.

VPS's have no advantages over shared hosting other than giving someone root access to install their own scripts/software. And of course they fell all fuzzy inside.

When they start to tax their little VPS, it will melt. We used to offer VPS's back in 2003-2204 when SWSoft just came onto the market..... didn't take long to see that they sure know how to hype a product.
    Tracy Phillips
    CpanelReseller.com
    See Why We Smoke The Competition - HostSentry!

Quote Originally Posted by HV | Tracy View Post
    VPS's have no advantages over shared hosting other than giving someone root access to install their own scripts/software. And of course they fell all fuzzy inside.

When they start to tax their little VPS, it will melt. We used to offer VPS's back in 2003-2204 when SWSoft just came onto the market..... didn't take long to see that they sure know how to hype a product.
    You may be right, in terms of your particular setup, but I do not agree. My experience with VPS has been exemplary. It is very much like having your own, small dedicated sever, with full control over almost every aspect of the user experience. With shared, someone else can tax the server and take you down with them.
    Last edited by Gene Steinberg; 06-30-2007 at 10:25 PM.
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com

P.S. This comment has been censored by WHT.

My friend unless your using Xen or VMWare, the same can happen to a VPS.

Virtuozzo and OpenVZ allows hosts to oversell *everything* for a VPS. Disk, Memory and Processor.

So with that said, if everyone uses what they are promised... the server is still coming down.

I have been hosting websites since 2001 and I have yet had a shared client take down a server... knock on wood.

We were one of the first users of HSPComplete/Virtuozzo back in 2002. I have been there and done that and not excited to go back... except for offering a better VPS using Xen might be an option.
    Tracy Phillips
    CpanelReseller.com
    See Why We Smoke The Competition - HostSentry!

Quote Originally Posted by HV | Tracy View Post
    My friend unless your using Xen or VMWare, the same can happen to a VPS.

Virtuozzo and OpenVZ allows hosts to oversell *everything* for a VPS. Disk, Memory and Processor.

So with that said, if everyone uses what they are promised... the server is still coming down.

I have been hosting websites since 2001 and I have yet had a shared client take down a server... knock on wood.

We were one of the first users of HSPComplete/Virtuozzo back in 2002. I have been there and done that and not excited to go back... except for offering a better VPS using Xen might be an option.
    You evidently have a limited experience with shared hosting, even though you are in the business. I've seen situations where those who abuse resources can definitely bring down a shared server. I can't believe you haven't personally encountered such a situation, unless you are very, very conservative about what you put on your servers.

As to VPS, yes I use Virtuozzo. Since you don't know who my host is, you don't know if they are overselling VPS or not. From what they tell me, they aren't. I am aware of the server and its capacity, for example, and how many VPS systems are on it.
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com

P.S. This comment has been censored by WHT.

VPS gives you the features and functionality of a dedicated server without the cost of building and maintaining one. If you need to host unlimited domains, have complete control of your environment and run your own applications, then you will benefit from having a VPS. In addition, a VPS provides the ability to manage your dedicated environment directly through SSH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast