Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Benefits of Exchange over POP3

Hello Everyone. Cathy here wrote a short piece on the benifits of using Microsoft Exchange over POP3 and I wanted to share it with you. For those with clients that are on the fence- this may help them decide:

Full Mailbox Access - Anytime, Anywhere access from multiple locations and/or clients; via Outlook Web Access, Outlook, Entourage (Mac users), etc.... With POP3, if you download messages to your mailbox--they are stored on the local client--and taken off the server, preventing the ability to view the data elsewhere. (If you elect to 'keep a copy on the server', you will still only be able to see your Inbox--not any other folders).

Sharing and Collaboration - The only thing that takes more time than attending
    meetings is planning and scheduling them! When you use Exchange with Outlook,
    you can quickly and easily check availability of coworkers, conference rooms, and shared
    resources by viewing multiple calendars side by side. No more chasing down people and
    keeping track of responses. No more confusion and time lost having to reschedule.
    With POP3, there is no sharing or collaboration. And, you are not limited to sharing just a
    Calendar! In Exchange, you can share any folder in your Mailbox, any files, and anything
    in your Public Folders! What you save in Time Management, easily makes up for the price of Exchange.

Public Folders - Instead of having multiple copies of emails-templates-pictures-etc....one in every mailbox, you can store them all in Public Folders; 1 time, in 1 location, for all users (or select users -- using permissions) to access, saving you tremendous amounts of storage space.

Backups - How often does your PST file get backed up? Up to 70% of your business data
    is in Outlook. If your hard drive crashes, you will lose all of your Outlook data.
    With exchange, a copy of all of your data is stored on your local client. Another copy remains
    on the server. If a computer crashes, with Exchange, configuring a new computer,
    with the existing mailbox information, will bring all of the data, once lost, back down,
    in its entirety....to the new computer.

Synchronization with Mobile Devices. Throw away your sync cable/cradle. Stay in contact with your customers and colleagues whether you are in the office, on the road, or at home. Access your e-mail, contacts, and calendar from your Blackberry, Treo, and Windows Mobile Devices. Full synchronization does not occur with a POP3 / Web Client.
    For 2-way wireless synchronization, you must be on an Exchange Server.

The key factor in determining whether the financial cost of Exchange can be justified will depend upon this:

How much is your employees' time worth? Is their productivity worth $10/user/month?

Free e-mail services such as POP3 or webmail are the electronic collaboration tools of choice for small businesses.
    For some of these small businesses this is good enough. But for businesses that have a mobile work force, rely heavily
    on information and documents exchange via email and/or work from multiple locations, a more comprehensive
    collaboration tool is needed to increase productivity as well as more timely and accurate communication with customers.
    Don't you want to uncover every advantage that will allow you to beat your competition?

Get the same technology as a Fortune 500 company, at a small business price.

Alon Cohen
    Online Marketing Manager
    123Together
    www.123together.com

Nice Article Alon
    David Petree
    AppRiver
    davidp@appriver.com

I agree. Exchange is definately a pick over pop3 if budget allows. However, with a company like 123together, You will definately save.

Thanks for this info.

How about if i can give you POP with exchange features..

Like Sharing calendars, contacts, and you can log in from another location and see the same mail (even the same sent items) as from the office.
    David Petree
    AppRiver
    davidp@appriver.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidp View Post
    How about if i can give you POP with exchange features..

Like Sharing calendars, contacts, and you can log in from another location and see the same mail (even the same sent items) as from the office.
    With all those features would that still be POP?
    Alon Cohen
    Online Marketing Manager
    123Together
    www.123together.com

Its on a POP server.
    David Petree
    AppRiver
    davidp@appriver.com

You will definately save.
    What are savings you are talking about?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

Thanks...
    It is nice information to any users

I agree with all of these points as those are the reason I switched over my email. I love instantly receiving my email!
    Top Blue Products - Cheap domains and hosting.
    Get free hosting with a domain purchase (starting at $7.49 per year)

I use it for storing my public folders POP3 is good.

Good information. It is very helpful for me.

Thank you for this article.

Thanks...
    It is nice information to any users
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity - Albert Einstein
    Audio Production Degrees

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast