Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum spam - how do you beat it

On my site I tried captcha, image verification, double opt in - the works. Is there a single, tried and tested way of stopping bot spam once and for all?

K

There are new methods such as asking the user a question (i.e. what is 4+5, or what colour is the sky)..

I believe that is the latest method, but really, it's only a matter of time before the spammers get a way round that..

We simply manually allow each user since our forums are for clients only.
    InnoHosting Ltd || Now utilizing Quad Core Dell and IBM eServers
    UK and USA Reseller Hosting with 24x7 Toll Free Phone Support
    Reseller accounts with WHMCS/Clustered DNS/Domain+SSL Reseller/CE/RapidSSL+ More!
    █ Now featuring Rapid Response Sales, Billing and Tech End-user Support!!

I have seen questions like
    Chose cars from the pictures (there were 3 pictures with cars). I think that is the best human verification
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

My advice is not to use standard forum engines. This makes standard spam bots unable to post using url mask. All ways of captchas are not useful if you leave the engine unchanged.
    ksmhost.net - FREE reliable hosting in Prague

The latest version of verification, selecting some images topics as mentioned can be the final solution to the problems caused by spammers.
    Last edited by bermuda; 01-06-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
    The latest version of verification, selecting some images topics as mentioned can be the final solution to the problems caused by spammers.
    Do you think so? How can it be?

There is a plugin for vBulletin which allows you to put all messages with links in them from users with under X posts (you decide what number is X) for moderation. This way such posts don't appear on the forum, unless you approve them. I really like this plugin and I use it on all my vBulletin forums.

ASP-Hosting that could be a little troublesome depending on what niche the forum is, but would work in general. I find that asking the user a question as mentioned before "What is 1+1" or something similar works the best.

Verify new sign up manually...

"What is 1+1" or something similar works the best.
    Chose 3 pages with humans or stones or.. wold be much more better.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Quote Originally Posted by EliW View Post
    ASP-Hosting that could be a little troublesome depending on what niche the forum is, but would work in general. I find that asking the user a question as mentioned before "What is 1+1" or something similar works the best.
    I might try adding a question, like the one you mentioned, to improve the SPAM filtering...

Let's start with the definition of spam, then I think what's more important is the non-qualitty posting, if I were an owner of the forum, I'd be more interested in it.

The math one works best from what our customers have said.

Add a unique question to the sign up, don't allow free email accounts..put some posting requirements before you can post links. Get some more moderators to delete spam.

Few days ago I have seen one web site which ask to chose nature picture first to continue further registration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast