Install Ms Exhange 2003

I would like to install Exchange Server 2003 on my PC. Hence, kindly guide me what necessary steps should I take before starting installation of Exchange Server 2003? How much free space should I allocate to this server?

I am using Windows XP service pack 2 as my operating system.

Hi Karl,
    Why are you trying to install it on XP when you can get a hosted Exchange solution for under $10/month per mailbox? That said...

I'm not sure if you can install it on XP.

According to the Microsoft documentation you need to make sure "Servers are running Windows 2000 SP3 or Windows Server 2003 Active Directory".

From the Microsoft site...

The following are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for Exchange Server 2003 servers:

• Intel Pentium or compatible 133 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor
    • 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum, 128 MB supported minimum
    • 500 MB of available disk space on the drive on which you install Exchange
    • 200 MB of available disk space on the system drive
    • CD-ROM drive
    • SVGA or higher-resolution monitor
    More details information can be found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx
    Alon Cohen
    Online Marketing Manager
    123Together
    www.123together.com

As far as I'm aware, you cannot install exchange 03 on xp without encounting an absolute barrage of problems. It's always better for one to have it on a dedicated server, and two to have it running on a server operating system. This will save you a lot of time, effort and ultimately money in the long run.

You cannot install Exchange on Windows XP. It's not a server OS and you need one to install Exchange Server. Also, you will need to setup Active Directory on a Windows 2003 server before you can install MS Exchange. AD is the heart of Exchange.

I am learnign

I am learning myself.

May I ask anyone here what is Exchange Server 2003? what's the use of this software? sorry to bother you..

Giolicious Blog

The old thread. I believe that OP has already found what he was looking for
    Closed
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

Pre-Installation Checklist

Make sure you have all of the following steps in place before you setup Exchange Server 2003.

For simplicity we are assuming you are setting up a small office where one machine will be used for both the Active Directory and the Exchange Server. This setup works just fine and reduces the number of machines to maintain. If you have a larger office you may want to consider separating the Active Directory machine and the Exchange 2003 Server.

You must have IIS (Internet Information Server) installed.
    When you install IIS, you should select the typical install that includes an SMTP component.

Make sure your networking has DNS setup.
    If you use DHCP, the DNS setting should be set, if you do not use DHCP then make sure that you have entered your DNS server names. Exchange Server will use your DNS settings when it sends e-mail to the Internet.

You must have Active Directory setup.
    To setup active directory, go to Start -> Programs -> Administrative tools -> Configure your server.
    Select Active Directory from the left hand panel, then select "Start" in the right hand panel to start the setup wizard.

Select "Domain controller for a new domain"

Take the default - Create a new domain tree

Create a new forest of domain trees

When it asks for your full DNS name - enter the name of your domain that you have registered. This would be the name to the right of the "@" for your email address, such as "YourCompany.com"

Accept the Netbios equivalent of your domain in our case "YourCompany"

Select the locations you want to store the databases

Accept the location of the system folder

On the permissions screen select what is appropriate for your network; if all machines are Windows 2003, then select the only Windows 2003 permissions. Otherwise use the default for compatibility.

Create a password to administer the directory.

Review your configuration and accept by pressing Next.

After pressing next - the Active Directory configuration wizard will spend several minutes creating the directory for you. When it is complete press finish and reboot the computer.

Configuring the Exchange Server 2003

Run the Exchange Server Setup - it will walk you through the following wizard

Agree to the licenses agreement

Enter your serial number

The next screen will prompt you to select what components you want to install. The typical configuration is selected. This should be fine with most installation. If you need you can enable any additional services you wish.

At the installation type screen - we are setting up a new organization, so we have used the default selection “Create a new Exchange Organization”.

At the organization name screen - enter the name of your company

Agree to the license statement

Review the your selections and press next to begin

The installation wizard will now install the components you have selected - this will take several minutes to 1/2 hour. When it is complete you are ready to add your users.

Adding E-Mail Users

Go to the start menu -> Programs -> Microsoft Exchange -> Active Directory Users and Computers

On the left hand side of the screen, select users. Then right click in the right hand panel and select "New" and at the sub menu select "User". You will be presented with a wizard where you enter the users name and e-mail address. Then press next and enter that users password and press next. On the last screen select that you want to create an ExchangeMailbox. When you press finish the user is created and you are ready to enter another user name.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl B. View Post
    I would like to install Exchange Server 2003 on my PC. Hence, kindly guide me what necessary steps should I take before starting installation of Exchange Server 2003? How much free space should I allocate to this server?

I am using Windows XP service pack 2 as my operating system.

This topic provides information about deploying new installations of Microsoft® Exchange Server 2003 in your organization. Specifically, this topic will:

Provide you with the requirements necessary to install Exchange 2003.

Provide you with information about running Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Tools.

Provide you with information about front-end and back-end architecture, including how to configure a front-end server.

Show you how to run ForestPrep.

Show you how to run DomainPrep.

Show you how to install Exchange Server 2003 on new servers, including how to run Exchange Server 2003 Setup in attended and unattended modes..........

Install Ms Exhange 2003

Hi,

I want to the fresh install on my old mail server so that it could be provided to one of my clientsolely,

Problem arises is that, I dont know how to remove all its processes, packages, users, directories and other trash.

Need any help, in this regard.
    _______
    === XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
    XRumer 5.0 Palladium: best promotion software

Hi,

I want to the fresh install on my old mail server so that it could be provided to one of my clientsolely,

Problem arises is that, I dont know how to remove all its processes, packages, users, directories and other trash.

Need any help, in this regard.
    _______
    === XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
    In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity - Albert Einstein
    Audio Production Degrees

wade, thanks for your post!
    TetraHost Bangladesh
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Semi Dedicated Box
    Biased for true hosting experience - www.tetrahostbd.com

ihostman - Did you even read the post? See the creation date and the remark that thread is closed?