Adding Function to Mysql

Anyone have some information or instructions on how to add a function to mysql. I have a script we need to use and uses a distance calculation. The function needs to be added to myslq and I have never done this. Any suggestions?

Without knowing what you are trying to accomplish its a little difficult. However, this should point you in the correct direction.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...functions.html
    http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...-Functions.htm

There are three ways to add new functions to MySQL:
    You can add functions through the user-defined function (UDF) interface. User-defined functions are compiled as object files and then added to and removed from the server dynamically using the CREATE FUNCTION and DROP FUNCTION statements.

You can add functions as native (built-in) MySQL functions. Native functions are compiled into the mysqld server and become available on a permanent basis.

Another way to add functions is by creating stored functions. These are written using SQL statements rather than by compiling object code. The syntax for writing stored functions is not covered here.

Each method of creating compiled functions has advantages and disadvantages:
    If you write user-defined functions, you must install object files in addition to the server itself. If you compile your function into the server, you don't need to do that.
    Native functions require you to modify a source distribution. UDFs do not. You can add UDFs to a binary MySQL distribution. No access to MySQL source is necessary.
    If you upgrade your MySQL distribution, you can continue to use your previously installed UDFs, unless you upgrade to a newer version for which the UDF interface changes. For native functions, you must repeat your modifications each time you upgrade.........

Yeah i found that same description on their website Oracle - I was hoping to actually find some instructions on doing it.

Do you have PHPmyadmin?
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

Yes I do, Didnt think you could add something through that. Or can you ? ill have to look at that I guess. The developer of the script I have commisioned to have made is going to try a different route I think

Yes,you can add function with your PHPadmin.
    HostEase Web Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

Quote Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
    Yes I do, Didnt think you could add something through that. Or can you ? ill have to look at that I guess. The developer of the script I have commisioned to have made is going to try a different route I think
    You can create DB there and run sql queries
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting
    Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities

You can write a sql file then run the application,Also you can do it with your phpadmin.phpadmin is used to manage your datebase.
    HostEase Web Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.