What Are My Best Options If I Need to Back Up Tons of Data

Hello friends,

What Are My Best Options If I Need to Back Up Tons of Data ??

I’m an experienced user but I’ve never learned anything about back up strategy or implementation (other than from Schofield’s laws).

What’s the objective of backing up? What would be a good backup strategy? How would you implement it?

Also, why backup to compressed files? Why not make the backup an image of the source (same folder structure), which makes it much easier for the inexperienced user to retrieve a single file if needed? Chris

I tend to bang on about backups because of the horror stories that appear in my mailbox. The latest example: someone took a laptop in for repair – it had a Windows XP software problem – and got it back with a different hard drive: all his data had gone. Hence Schofield’s Second Law of Computing, which states that data doesn’t really exist unless you have at least two copies of it.

The main problem is that most people don’t make backups reliably, if ever. For consumers, the problems of what, when and how to back stuff up are less urgent. They’re certainly important to businesses, but businesses can pay experts to tell them the answers, or they can buy pre-packaged “solutions” of various sorts.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a single answer, because people have different amounts of different types of data, and different needs. At one extreme, some people need a fail-safe system where everything is backed up all the time, and they can restore their computer to its state at an earlier date and time. Others may not care if their PC works, they just want to be sure they have copies of irreplaceable family photos, or the PhD thesis they have almost but not quite finished.

Different files obviously have different values. As a rough guide, work out the replacement cost of your files and how much you would pay to replace them. For example, the audio files you ripped from your CDs are not worth much: you could rip them again, or buy digital tracks on Amazon. Your unfinished PhD thesis, blockbuster novel or genealogy database would be worth a lot more because of the time and effort it would take to recreate it from scratch. Old family photos might be impossible to replace, and you would pay a recovery company £500-£1,000 or so to get them back.

The simple answer is: multiple copies. Whatever else you do, don't trust any single media, location or service.

Thanks all of your for sharing some really useful tips.

External drives? I think this is the most safest way.