PDA

View Full Version : Forums

El Newbo
09-08-2005, 03:18 AM
I would like to set up a forum and I am looking for advice. I have taken a look at a number of pieces of software (Invision, Vbulletin, PhpBB) and they all seem really good. I guess the question is then, which is best? In addition, what sort of storage and bandwidth would I need for a forum?

Look forward to any comments from you experts!

El

WebEdit
09-08-2005, 04:34 AM
I think vBulletin is the most popular but I couldn't say... sorry I can't tell you more.

ASP-Hosting.ca
09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
I like vBulletin.

NS-Icon
09-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I would have to agree, vBulletin is probably the better forum software that’s available, you could also take a look at phpBB.

IceBlueHost
10-23-2005, 09:40 AM
The thing is that everyone has their own requirements, likes and dislikes. Someone might love vBulletin, someone else might hate it, it mainly depends on your own liking.

I would suggest to test out these different bulletin boards for yourself to see which one you like best. Don't forget that vBulletin is not cheap.

SMF and phpBB are free, and I personally prefer phpBB because of its ease of use, huge amount of add-ons and big support following.

ayksolutions
10-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I also prefer phpbb. It has a ton of features you can use from the getgo and a lot of MODs for it which are easily installed.

I honestly dont know the huge hype of vBulletion for which you have to pay $90 I think?

nuWebHosts.com
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi, I have a friend that uses phpBB and he likes it because it is easy to use, has security features and lots of MODs.

As far as hosting, most hosts feature some kind of forum software in their plans. Within these plans hosts have auto-installers that will easily install the forum software without you having to do too much.

About hosting space, it depends on your plans for the forum. If you a planning a large site then I would recommend starting with a large hosting plan. You can always start with a smaller plan because most hosts will easily upgrade your site to a larger plan if you need more space.

Below are the two forums we offer with our hosting plans.
YaBB SE v1.0.1
YaBB SE is a PHP/MySQL port of the popular forum software YaBB (Yet another Bulletin Board), which provides the same user-friendly interface and several of the most popular modifications from YaBB's BoardMod program.

phpBB2
phpBB2 is a popular open-source forum tool with an easy-to-use user interface and an easily customizable administration panel.

Good Luck,
Emily Martin

IceBlueHost
10-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I also prefer phpbb. It has a ton of features you can use from the getgo and a lot of MODs for it which are easily installed.

I honestly dont know the huge hype of vBulletion for which you have to pay $90 I think?
I guess the hype behind vBulletin is the fact that it is jampacked with all kinds of features which you will not find in a standard phpBB for example.
Many people go for it because thet just need to install it and set it up and don't need to worry about adding anything else.
Having said that, I personally find the price way over the top.
And most people will never use all those features either.

phpBB is great in that way because it just has the standard stuff and you can add whatever you like to it, completely customizing it. It does take time yes, but the result in my eyes is much better and definitely more user friendly.

We have all been waiting a long time already for phpBB 3.0, and it might still take some time before it's ready, but the good news is that the developers are a lot more busy at it these days, which is very encouraging.

peter phillips
10-25-2005, 05:33 AM
PhpBB is probably the best to start because it is free and open sourced. Once your forum gets more traffic and you need more features, better security and support then you should switch to vBulletin.

vBulletin even though it is expensive has more features, can handle high traffic, better security and support. If you cannot afford vBulletin then go for IPB which has some good features too. So basically it depends upon your budget and your preferences.

tanveerhabib
06-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Hello, In the past I used VB which is a great forum CMS, as it is used much more compared to any other provider also it has millions of themes and plugins present.

Sameer Shoakat
06-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Phpbb is the most beneficial for forums because that,s totally free of cost and open sourced,spouse if you want to gain more traffic on your forum so you must need more feature,s,and if you want better security and support so than you should join the vBulletin.because that,s very helpful and sportive about increasing a traffic but that is expensive,but i have one more forum and that is affordable and also reliable and that is IPB taht,s also have a good feature,s so its up to you and your budget .

anirban09P
06-09-2015, 12:26 AM
A forum is a question and answer bulletin board. A forum is a place where users of a particular product or service may go to ask questions about the product/service they acquired. Of course, asking the question is not enough, other users need to supply an answer (in addition to staff).

kasif
11-08-2016, 01:04 AM
Forums, Where you can question and answer the different people and they are different part of the world. Even you can set a backlink to your site as well and promote.

johndisoza
11-09-2016, 12:54 AM
You can get quality backlinks by forum submission.

safani
11-11-2016, 12:17 AM
Forum, Where you can introduce with different people on it and you have to answer the question on forum. You can get a backlinks from forum posting.

rosestorm
11-11-2016, 01:05 AM
I think phpBB is free and open source forum software that is easy to use, powerful, and highly customisable. Our community offers extensive support to end users.

AaronB
11-11-2016, 04:47 AM
You can try with BBPress or vBulletin.

Soniajain
11-12-2016, 03:16 AM
online medium or place used for debates in which anyone can participate.

davidnguyen
11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I clearly see that many forums use Vbulletin. I think Vbulletin is best popular and useful to set up forums. I am a newbie. So, I still haven't made a forum yet.

zuri
11-22-2016, 10:36 AM
I would have to agree, vBulletin is probably the better forum software that’s available, you could also take a look at phpBB.

I couldn't agree more about vBulletin!

cracker
11-26-2016, 04:51 AM
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived.

rosestorm
11-26-2016, 08:52 AM
phpBB is free and open source forum software that is easy to use, powerful, and highly customisable. Our community offers extensive support to end users.

michanik
11-26-2016, 09:42 AM
vBulletin is best for you if you want visits

giftjaipurseo
11-29-2016, 06:27 AM
Forum is also give quality backlinks in seo

incomecracker
11-30-2016, 02:53 AM
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived.

Barbel
11-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Hands down for vBulletin, it has very many features unlike others, you will really find it very useful. It is also very user friendly, SEO friendly, and their themes are awesome.

SenseiSteve
11-30-2016, 08:47 PM
vBulletin is quickly becoming overtaken by Xenforo.

bidaddy
05-08-2017, 02:30 AM
One of easiest way to know how much you need is testing it.

I would recommend getting a DreamHost account using $97 discount coupon found in DreamHost forum or everywhere.
It would only cost $22.40 for 1 year of hosting.
And you can put your site and test.

As DreamHost offers lots of bandwidth and CPU resources,
most site that can be hosted on average shared hosting account would have no problem, at all.
So, you can test without worrying, most probably.

Also, DreamHost provides CPU% log.
With it, you can know how heavy your site is, as far as CPU time goes.

Once you know what you need, you can choose another host,
and use the DreamHost account as a backup until the end of the term.
(You can cancel within 97 days. But I don't think it's fair to get an account with the intention of cancelling.)

Mor importantly, you should remember that CPU/memory are more precious resource than simple bandwidth.

Sure, bandwidth limit can be something to worry if you don't get an account with enough safety margin.
But it's more often other resources that dictate if you can stay within the limit of particular account/plan.

Also, by optimizing the site/script, it's often possible to use less expensive accounts/plans.
Agressive caching technique can really save your money and also make the site more resistant to traffic surge and potential attacks.